Check out everything you need to know about Hurricane Harvey and Houston. (photo via @weatherchannel Instagram) 

Hurricane Harvey donations will be collected until Sept. 3

Ohio University’s Office of Community Engagement Programs along with local businesses and leaders in Athens came together to host a donation site for the people affected by Hurricane Harvey. 

The donation site will be in the parking lot at Porter Hall, and donations will be collected until Sept. 3 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., according to a university press release. The program, called “Athens to Houston” is a community effort, and volunteers are needed. Athens resident Coleen Krubl and Nelsonville business owner Sean Jones coordinated the effort.

“The company plans on consolidating all donated items into one container and driving that container to Texas the morning of Sept. 4,” the press release said. “Jones is working with the Salvation Army to identify a final drop-off site as close to the Houston area as possible.” 

Here’s the list of what you can donate: 

• Bottled water
  • Baby formula
  • Baby bottles
  • Diapers
  • Canned goods
  • Food (non-refrigerated) that is pre-packaged for individual serving
  • Pillows
  • Blankets
  • Towels
  • Shampoo
  • Soap
  • Laundry detergent
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrushes
  • First-aid supplies
  • Storage containers
  • Empty cardboard boxes (for organizing the donations within the shipping container) 

Hurricane Harvey made landfall off the Gulf Coast of Texas on Friday morning as a Category 4 storm, the strongest to hit the United States in the past ten years. As of Tuesday, Houston experienced upward of 50 inches of rain.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu