Volunteers serve food to guests during the International Dinner, presented by the International Student Union, Nov. 5, 2015, in Baker Center Ballroom (Alex Driehaus | File)

International Dinner aims to embrace diversity through food, performance

Representing students from more than 100 countries, International Student Union strives to celebrate diversity at its largest event of the year.

International Dinner is an annual event hosted in the Baker Ballroom by ISU, an umbrella organization overseeing more than 25 other campus organizations. It features several performances, and the dinner this year will feature 16 dishes prepared by students from various countries. Admission for the dinner is $10.

The event will host 350 people, including attendees and volunteers. Remaining tickets will be sold Friday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the first floor of Baker Center.

Carla Triana, president of ISU and a senior studying international business, is looking forward to hosting the hundreds of attendants that want to learn about and experience new cultures. Triana was involved with many parts of the event planning, from making the night’s agenda to decorating tables.

Triana is looking forward to performances, and is especially excited for a dance performed by the Nepalese Student Association, a newer group on campus.

This past summer marked the 30th anniversary of ISU. Because the International Dinner is the largest event the organization hosts, this year it will also serve as an anniversary celebration. Though prior years have allowed casual dress, this year the event is asking attendees to wear formal dress or cultural wear.

The union hosts many events throughout the school year with the goal of expanding cultural awareness through fun events open to everyone. It also supports the events hosted by clubs that fall under its umbrella, like the recent African Night hosted by the African Student Union.

The goal of the International Dinner is to embrace diversity and for attendees to learn about the history of ISU, Triana said. 

Students like Kennedy White, a freshman studying nutrition, showed interest in the event because of the food and entertainment.

The ISU meets again on Thursday, and is doing its best to finalize everything, Safiya Ahmed, a programming director and doctoral student studying civil engineering, said. Ahmed was in charge primarily of decorations, and was one of many ISU members working hard to make the event happen. 

“I just want it to be perfect,” she said.

@hrichards1000

hr899116@ohio.edu