Quinton Maxwell throws the ball against Toledo at the Glass Bowl on Oct. 27. (FILE)

MAC Football: News and notes heading into week 5

Mid-American Conference play opened up last weekend. Sort of. 

Ohio took on Eastern Michigan and Miami faced Central Michigan to kick off the start of both team's conference play. The Bobcats and the RedHawks won to start the season 1-0 in the conference. 

But those were the only two conference games, as other MAC schools finished up non-conference play. 

This week, more MAC teams will start conference play as Buffalo will head to Kent State, Akron will be on the road at Bowling Green and Ball State will face Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Week 4 in Review

Miami defeated Central Michigan 31-14 in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, on the back of quarterback Gus Ragland, who threw for 217 yards and two touchdowns. 

But perhaps the most impressive performance of the week was by Toledo.

Toledo led 16-10 over Miami (Fla.) at halftime, before allowing 42 second half points in a 52-30 loss. Rockets quarterback Logan Woodside threw 342 yards on 48 passing attempts. 

Buffalo beat Florida Atlantic 34-31 for the Bulls second straight road win. Bulls running back Emmanuel Reed ran 107 yards on 26 carries — in his first career start.

The MAC's week four winners: Ohio, Buffalo, Miami, Western Michigan.

The MAC's week four losers: Kent State, Central Michigan, Toledo, Akron, Eastern Michigan, Bowling Green, Ball State.

Week 5 Preview

The most notable game in the MAC belongs to Miami, which will travel to South Bend, Indiana, to take on Notre Dame.

It will be a homecoming of sorts for RedHawks coach Chuck Martin, who coached for the Fighting Irish from 2010-2013.

No. 22 Notre Dame enters 3-1, while Miami enters 2-2.

That's not the only MAC team that will face off against a Power 5 school. Central Michigan will head to Boston College and Eastern Michigan will head to Kentucky. 

Those games kickoff at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively. 

Only three MAC teams will host games this weekend (Kent State, Bowling Green, Western Michigan).

Northern Illinois will head to No. 19 San Diego State for a 10:30 p.m. kickoff to end the conference's week as a tune-up to next week when conference play will start full time.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu