Police Blotter: Intoxicated woman found lying beside volleyball courts

An Ohio University Police Department officer found a woman lying in the grass beside the volleyball courts on South Green on Sunday at 2 a.m.

As the officer talked to her, he smelled a strong alcohol smell coming from her mouth, according to an OUPD report. He believed she was too intoxicated to take care of herself, so she was transported to OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital.

The woman, 19, was also charged with underage drinking. 

The woman was one of two people charged with underage drinking over the weekend. OUPD officers also wrote nine citations for possession of marijuana or marijuana paraphernalia.

Other reports included vandalization to the stall doors in the fifth floor women’s bathroom at Alden Library.

Bobcats helping Bobcats

At about 1 a.m. Friday, OUPD received a report of an intoxicated student in Jefferson Hall.

When an officer arrived, she saw the 18-year-old student slumped unconscious and drooling in a chair. A friend was holding his head up, according to the report.

He smelled strongly of alcohol, and Athens County EMS transported him to OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital. He was charged with underage drinking.

Football fumble

On Monday, Athens County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to Cline Alley for the reported theft of a football. The owner said that “a male came into his backyard and took a football and ran off.” The thief was seen running into a nearby apartment. 

When approached by deputies, the man admitted that he had the football and returned it. The owner of the football did not wish to press charges, and the football thief was given a verbal warning.

Leave your guns at home

On Monday, a man was reportedly walking from house to house in Coolville and asking to use the phone. The man appeared to be intoxicated and was reportedly carrying a pistol.

Deputies approached the man. The man was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and his pistol turned out to be a pellet gun. The man was not found to have violated any laws, and deputies told him that “if he needed to use a phone of persons he didn't know, then he should leave the firearm at home.”

Burrito bomb?

The sheriff's office received a call on Thursday about a suspicious package on the road in Rome Township. 

The “suspicious package” turned out to be a discarded Taco Bell box. The box was “placed in a recycling bin,” and the deputies returned to patrol.

Rude Awakening

On Friday, the sheriff's office received a call that a young intoxicated woman was found in the caller’s home. The caller did not know the woman or why she was in the house. 

Deputies discovered that the woman lived next door and was dropped off at the wrong house after a night out with her friends. The caller didn’t want to press charges and the woman was returned to her sober roommate.

Good boys only

On Sunday, a cyclist called complaining about two dogs. The cyclist claimed he was chased by the two dogs while riding his bike and “had to stop to defend himself.” An assistant dog warden and the sheriff's office responded to the scene. 

When deputies approached the driveway, the dogs appeared to be aggressive but turned out to be friendly once they got out of their vehicles. Deputies told the owners to keep their dogs away from the road so they wouldn't bother cyclists. 

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu