APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Police searching for armed bank robbery suspect near Ohio University

This story has been updated with new information.

The Athens Police Department received a report of an armed bank robbery on Stimson Avenue near the Ohio University campus.

At approximately 11:15 a.m., the suspect entered the Citizens Bank at 20 West Stimson Ave., where he “jumped the counter” and threatened employees with “what appeared to be” a dark colored handgun, according to a City of Athens news release. 

The suspect is believed to be a white male wearing a red or pink hat and “what appeared to be” a skin-tight light tan mask with dark glasses and a dark, red-colored jacket. 

Photos taken from surveillance also show the suspect wearing gloves with “some sort of design” on the back of the hand. The original news release said the suspect’s hair was shaved in the back, and he carried a zipper bank bag. 

After robbing the bank, the suspect reportedly fled westbound on foot. Footage from the area shows a possible suspect dark-colored 2007-2011 Nissan Versa with an unknown license plate.

Two local schools were put on lockdown after the report. The Athens County Sheriff’s Department notified the district that witnesses saw the suspect leaving in an automobile, and the threat had passed. 

The Ohio University Police Department asks people who see the man to "not engage" and call 911.

According to the city news release, anyone with information on the robbery can call Athens Police Department Lt. Jeff McCall at 740-592-3315 or 740-592-3313.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu