Midfeilder Allie Curry (10) cuts upfeild against Xavier on Chessa Field on September 16th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FILE

Soccer: A well-rested Ohio looks to keep winning ways going against Xavier

The Bobcats traveled a total of 10 hours to get back to Athens for last Sunday’s game against Cleveland State. 

After a 1-0 win, Ohio got some much-needed rest by getting a week of practice to prepare before Sunday’s matchup with Xavier in Cincinnati. 

The Bobcats will look to keep their hot start rolling as they have won three out of their first four games. In this stretch to start the season, Ohio has outscored its opponents 4-1. 

The hot start is due impart to impressive defense and great goalkeeping by Erin Beurket and Sydney Malham, who have combined to only allow one goal while making 13 saves in four games. 

This stinginess on the defensive end has allowed the Bobcats' offense to be more aggressive. In the four games this season, the Bobcats have taken 67 shots. Four different players have scored. 

To keep the impressive start going, the Bobcats will need both the impressive defense and aggressive offense when they travel to Xavier. 

The Musketeers are coming off a close draw with Pittsburgh in a double overtime match their last time out, which ran their record to 2-1-1. The one loss this season for Xavier came on the road to No. 12 Duke. 

This season, Xavier has been led by Samantha Dewy, who has scored three goals on nine shots. Only one of her nine shots has not been on goal, which is best on the team. Sydney Schembri is second on the team behind Dewy with two goals. Schembri and Dewy will be the main offensive challenge that Beurket and Malham will have to deal with. 

This will also be a big game for Xavier first-year coach Nate Lie, who is a Miami University alumnus. Lie also spent four years as an assistant coach at Miami before becoming an assistant at Cincinnati. 

Cleveland State is the only common opponent Ohio and Xavier have played this season. The Musketeers defeated the Vikings 3-2 to open the season. 

Ohio and Xavier will kick off Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Xavier University Soccer Complex. 

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu