Ohio celebrates after scoring a goal against Central Michigan on Sunday. The Bobcats won 3-0.

Soccer: Bobcats control Central Michigan in dominant win

Hannah Jaggers scored a goal in the 9th minute to set the tone early for the Bobcats.

Ohio rode that early momentum, earning a Mid-American Conference win with a 3-0 victory over Central Michigan on Sunday at Chessa Field.

Jaggers' goal allowed Ohio to take control and set the pace for the contest. 

Coach Aaron Rodgers believes Sunday's game was essential for the team’s success.

“I think it’s huge for the team’s confidence and the team’s morale,” he said. “If we continue to gain that confidence, the results are going to come.”

The victory gave the Bobcats a sweep on the weekend. They also had a 2-1 overtime win over Eastern Michigan on Friday.

Rodgers said he thinks winning the first two contests in conference following a four game losing streak showed Ohio’s growth.

“It’s massive,” Rodgers said. “We can’t look at those four games and say, ‘That defined who we are as a program.’ We looked at those games and said, ‘What, as a whole, did we learn from that?’”

Even though Central Michigan had 17 shots compared to the Bobcats’ seven, both came away with six shots on goal.

Following Jaggers' goal, Ohio controlled the ball and continued the physical style that was a significant factor in the Eastern Michigan game.

“It was definitely a tough game,” Jaggers said. “This was a really solid team, so it was definitely going to be a gritty game.”

The Bobcats did not let up in the second half. Allie Curry scored a goal on a penalty kick in the 49th minute.

Curry had some nerves about taking the spot kick. 

“I haven’t taken a penalty kick since high school,” Curry said. “I’m just glad I put it away.”

Ohio added to the lead again in the 70th minute with a goal from Sara Kattainen.

Next, the Bobcats will travel to Muncie, Ind., to face Ball State on Friday.

@_relyt_j

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports