Midfeilder Allie Curry (10) cuts upfeild against Xavier on Chessa Field on September 16th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FILE

Soccer: Ohio falls in double overtime to Xavier

Road games have been the one smudge in what has been an otherwise extremely impressive and historic season so far for the Bobcats. 

Ohio, which is off to its best start in program history, dropped its first match of the year Aug. 25 against High Point. 

Sunday’s road match against Xavier was no different as Ohio fell 2-1 in double overtime.

Allie Curry scored an 83rd minute equalizer for the Bobcats to push the contest to overtime. The goal was Curry’s second of the season. 

But the Musketeers took any momentum the Bobcats may have had coming off that late goal and squashed it with suffocating defense that saw Ohio only get two shots off in the two overtime periods. 

Meanwhile, the Musketeers stayed busy on the offensive end and fired a combined four shots in the two overtimes, including Andie Kennard’s shot off a cross that found the back of the net to give Xavier (3-2-1) the win.

Goalkeeper Erin Beurket played the entire game in net for the Bobcats and made four saves. In both of Ohio’s losses this season, Beurket has been the lone keeper used. Sydney Malham entered in the second half during each of the three other games this season.

Despite having three players booked against Cleveland State, Ohio was still able to pull out a victory — but this time the Bobcats were not that lucky. Rihanna Reese received a yellow card late in double overtime, and that foul set up the free kick that led to the winning goal.

The Bobcats (3-2-0) will look to put the tough late loss and recent string of bad luck on the road behind them when they travel to Huntington, West Virginia, on Friday to take on Marshall (1-4-0).

The Herd will enter the game with momentum after winning their first game of the season Sunday against Gardner-Webb in overtime.  

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu