Stephen King's 'It' is the horror movie fans have been waiting for. (Photo via @itmovieofficial Instagram)

Stephen King's 'It' is the horror movie of the ages

I’ll be the first one to say that I am not a fan of scary things. When I say scary things I mean the haunted houses, the endless corn mazes and the ever so stressful escape rooms with the flesh-eating zombie in the closet. They all completely terrify me, but when it comes to horror movies, I’m all in.

The movie It is based off author Stephen King’s 1986 novel of the same name.  A group of young misfits who live in Derry, Maine face their darkest fears when a shape-shifting clown named Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård) crawls out of the sewers every 27 years to feed on the town’s children. Just from that description and previous knowledge of King’s works, the movie was going to be quite unsettling.

The director, Andrés Muschietti, did Stephen King’s It justice. Any King fans out there know  the movie only covered one part of the more than 1,100 page novel. As much as fans would have wanted the whole book to be crammed into two hours, the director made a good choice. Leaving the theater knowing there will be a part two is what Hollywood thrives on, and secretly, so do the people.  

It is an absolute thriller with everything from jump scares, to unnerving noises. The director even threw a good bit of comedy into the mix. Bill (Jaeden Lieberher), Beverly (Sophia Lillis) and Richie (Finn Wolfhard) are only three of the handful of talented young actors who were able to take King’s characters and really bring them to life. If their acting wasn’t as good as it was, the movie wouldn’t have been nearly as enjoyable. 

Stephen King fans need to see one of his greatest works come to life on the big screen, along with anyone who just enjoys horror films in general.

Rate: 4/5

@BayleeDeMuth  

bd575016@ohio.edu