President Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members to discuss 'Freedom of Expression' policy

Ohio University Student Senate plans to discuss the “Freedom of Expression” policy and vote on five resolutions at its Wednesday meeting.

Two of the resolutions make appointments to the senate body. One appoints a senator to the Off-Campus Commission, and the other appoints one to the International Affairs Commission. 

If passed, the resolutions will appoint Anna Dirda to serve as an Off-Campus senator and Perry Eldredge to serve as an International Affairs senator.

The other resolutions concern changing rules and responsibilities for the chief justice, clerk of court, historian and members of the judicial panel.

Faculty Senate Chair Joe McLaughlin will also give a presentation to Student Senate Wednesday night.

McLaughlin will talk about collaboration between the two senates, he said. He will also answer questions about processes involving curriculum development and revision.

“I also do hope to answer questions the senators have for me,” McLaughlin said.

Student Senate will also go into executive session Wednesday to “discuss a personnel matter.” The agenda of the meeting, released Monday evening, included a presidential statement from Student Senate President Landen Lama about executive sessions. 

Public meetings may only discuss six topics in executive session, the statement said. The topics include appointments, investigations of charges against employees, the purchase of property for public purposes, confidential matters and more.

No action may be taken during an executive session, according to the rules and procedures.

@stasia_nicholas

an631715@ohio.edu