'Survivor' is back! (photo via @officialsurvivor_cbs Instagram)

'Survivor' returns to CBS with the same drama from the past 34 seasons

It's hard to believe that Survivor is in its 17th year, and 35th season on CBS. Even more surprising, however, is its consistent popularity and ability to continuously produce absolutely thrilling new content to the viewers. This season is no different as the 18 new players are separated into three tribes — Healers, Heroes and Hustlers. 

One thing about survivor is it seems to grow with every new season is its evolving game-play. The players fit the bill, as they wasted no time in forming alliances, a dominant theme in this episode. Strategic play and idol searching, commenced immediately and faster than ever before. 

Here are the five biggest moments from Wednesday’s premiere: 

Idol searching once again makes for an entertaining scene

Mike, a urologist, provided the viewers with some very heartfelt entertainment on the healer beach. He was shown roaming around the jungle, looking for an idol, in an effort to prove that he is out there for his family. Unfortunately for Mike, Joe, the probation officer, sniffed out his shenanigans, confronted him, and therefore put an end to his idol search. 

Alliances surface and paranoia sets in among one tribe

On the Hero beach, Alan, Ben, Ashley and JP formed a loose alliance of four. The alliance was soon put in jeopardy when Alan became paranoid. He accused JP of possessing an idol in the middle of the night, and voiced concerns of JP and Ashley to the rest of the tribe. An argument ensued between the three, which became very heated.  This led JP to strip, that's right, strip to in order to prove he did not have an idol.

An advantage leads to an interesting duo

Over at the Hustler beach, unexpected duo alliances came to fruition. Ali, the personal assistant, and Patrick, an outspoken business owner felt that they could trust each other. Ryan discovered his idol was a super idol, only to be played at the first tribal after the votes were read. He shared this with surfer instructor Devon, ensuring his safety and solidifying a promising alliance between the two. 

Exhilaration, exhaustion and devastation occur after a challenge 

The Immunity challenge provided a thrilling finish and also a very concerning moment. The Hero tribe came out on the losing end, which led to Chrissy suddenly vomiting in front of everyone. Host Jeff Probst ensured her that medical was nearby, but she seemed to be fine after her teammates comforted her.

Strength v. gameplay play a pivotal role at Tribal Council 

Chaos ensued once again in the Hero tribe, with Alan trying to rally against Ashley and JP, placing Ben straight in the middle. This continued at tribal council, as Alan voiced his concerns of the two. It seemed that Alan would be on the chopping block, but the tribe ultimately voted for the former olympian Katrina due to tribe strength. Chrissy shockingly did not use the super idol given to her to save her alliance member, and Katrina was officially sent home. 

Survivor airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on CBS. 

@JaredFr12924879

jf946516@ohio.edu