Ohio's volleyball team huddles before their match agaist Kent State on October 6th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Volleyball: Bobcats open MAC play on the road

The non-conference portion of Ohio’s schedule began with promise, then looked as if it would be ruined by injuries and ended with optimism.

The preparation for MAC play is a bit different than for non-conference games, however. The Bobcats will have to fight through adversity, and how much depth they have.

But the non-conference schedule is behind the Bobcats, and they’ll open Mid-American Conference play Friday night at Buffalo and then travel to Akron on Saturday.

Conference play begins a “new season” for Ohio, and Webb welcomes that idea.

"There is every year, just an excitement when you get ready to play in the MAC," he said. "It's a good conference with a lot of good teams. It's been an interesting nonconference portion of the year. Not just for our team, but a number of MAC teams. There are a couple teams that have put themselves at the top of the conference, but there are a number of teams that are still really figuring things out.”

The preparation for MAC play is a bit different than for nonconference games, however. 

Only playing two different teams per weekend rather than the normal three in the first weeks of the season allows for a better understanding of each opponent, but that doesn’t make the match against Buffalo any easier.

“As much as we know about a style of play or a system of play, there are big changes on each team year-to-year,” Webb said. “Last year and the last few years, Buffalo has been an okay team. They’ve not been in the top half of the conference. This year, they definitely are.”

While Webb and the Bobcats need to know what to expect Saturday against Akron, the bulk of the attention is on Buffalo, who Ohio is 37-2 all-time against. 

Although the Bulls were picked to finished fourth in the MAC East, they’re off to a hot start. At 7-4, they’re confident as they start conference play.

Webb knows Buffalo is big and confident, but after facing No. 2 Penn State last weekend, the Bobcats have already seen the most physical team they’ll see all year. That match should help pad the transition from Penn State to Buffalo.

“The good thing for us is that we just played a team (Penn State) that was unbelievably athletic,” Webb said. “That prepared us for probably one of the more athletic teams in our conference.”

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu