Macy Reihing cheers with the team after a point during Ohio's game against Miami on Friday.

Volleyball: Ohio defeats Miami in tense five-set thriller

Deane Webb isn’t one to show emotion while coaching. 

But that doesn’t mean he won’t.

When Lizzie Stephens and Sara Januszewski recorded the final block Friday night, Webb — dressed in his famous light brown blazer — threw both fists in the air as he walked by the scorers table to shake hands.

Webb understood the magnitude of the win, a five-set thriller (21-25, 25-22, 25-16, 17-25, 15-13) over rival Miami in front of a rowdy crowd at The Convo.

In the preseason, Miami was tabbed as the favorite to win the Mid-American Conference in 2017. Although the Bobcats have battled through adversity this season, they’re starting to grow comfortable with the situation. It was on display in the win.

“I just think we really grew up tonight as a team,” Webb said. “Some kids are growing into their new roles. Starting to go from just enduring that role to excelling in that role.”

While the block at the net in the fifth set was needed, the Bobcats wouldn't have been in position to win had it not been for their service success. 

Allyson Vaughn, in particular, stood out in that category.

“In this situation, I knew my role was to (serve),” Vaughn said. “I really wanted to get those (service) runs for my team, make sure we could strive forward.”

Vaughn’s service runs were not just key to aiding the Bobcats but also to getting Miami out of a rhythm. The RedHawks were out of position due to Ohio’s — and Vaughn’s — service throughout the night.

“I think (service) is the first thing you can do to get them out of a system,” she said. “It’s the main focus when you’re behind the line.”

After taking a 2-1 lead and showing no sign of slowing down, the Bobcats faltered in the fourth set, and Miami capitalized, tying the match.

The fifth set was back and forth, with neither team taking an advantage over two points. 

With the home court advantage for the first time in three weeks, the Bobcats found a way to match point — they weren’t about to lose.

“When you get into close games, having that type of (crowd) support is great,” Webb said.

So while Webb clenched his fists in the air and celebrated a huge win by his team, he took it all in. But he also remembered that the weekend is far from over, as the Bobcats take on Bowling Green on Saturday.

“I’ll be very quick to explain to our young team that you can enjoy (victory) for about two and a half more hours,” Webb said. “At midnight, we have to get ready for BG.”

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu