Ohio's volleyball team huddles before their match agaist Kent State on October 6th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Volleyball: Teams to watch for in MAC play

With non-conference play over and Mid-American Conference play starting Friday, there are numerous teams that will give Ohio challenges over the coming months. 

Although these aren’t the only teams in the MAC that will compete for the conference championship, they are teams to look out for as the volleyball season heats up.

Miami

The RedHawks are the runner up from last year’s MAC Tournament and favorites to win the conference this season. They took a perennial power, Dayton, to five sets, defeated SEC foe South Carolina and also beat in-state rival Xavier. Miami is led by preseason all-MAC selection Maeve McDonald.

Kent State

The Golden Flashes struggled in non-conference play and finished with just a 2-9 record during the opening stretch of the season. Despite that, they have two players that earned preseason all-conference honors in Kelsey Bittinger and Challen Geraghty. Bittinger has 131 kills through non-conference play.

Ball State

In non-conference action, the Cardinals were 5-0 at home, but just 3-5 away from Muncie. Brooklyn Goodsell, a preseason second-team all conference selection, has 120 kills on the season and will lead the Cardinals’ crew of hitters. The Huskies are first in the MAC in RPI.

Northern Illinois

The defending MAC Tournament champions will challenge for another title in 2017. Led by junior middle blocker Meg Wolowicz, the Huskies had a tough non-conference schedule that included matches against Ohio State, Western Kentucky and Dayton. The 1-14 record to begin the season might come as a surprise, but the Huskies still will compete in the MAC.

Buffalo

The Bulls are off to an impressive 7-4 start as MAC play begins. Through 11 games, Polina Prokudina averages 4.09 kills per set, which is second best in the conference. Buffalo is a tall, physical team that will challenge every team in the MAC.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu