The Athena Cinema is located on 20 S. Court St. (FILE)

Athens’ filmmakers drop their shorts at the Athena; '90s Night at Jackie O’s

Friday

Halloween Night at 6 p.m. at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. This family friendly event held in the amphitheater behind the library is free and open to the public. It will include spooky stories, ghostly games, cider and s’mores. It’s the perfect event for kids. Costumes are highly encouraged.

Vulkan, Caution Step and TFU at 9 p.m. at the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St. This heavy rock concert may be just what some of these older folks need to get into the Halloween spirit. There are no mentions of a cover charge on any of the advertising for this event online, however, the Skull generally charges $5 to $10 at the door when bands are playing, so anyone planning to attend should bring some cash.    

90s Night with DJ Barticus at 10 p.m. at Jackie O’s Public House and BrewPub, 24 W. Union St. Jackie O’s is hosting one night of good, old-fashion 90s fun. With a variety of music and memories from the decade, DJ Barticus is bound to put on a show for those looking to relive their glory days.

Saturday

Ohio University vs. Kent State University Football Game at 2 p.m. at Peden Stadium, 200 Richland Ave. People can cheer on the home team Saturday. The best band in the land, Marching 110, will perform. Students get in free with their Ohio ID, so it is easy to display their Bobcat pride.

Pumpkin Fest 2017 at 1 p.m. at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane. This is a family friendly event, and it is open to anyone who feels like carving a pumpkin in celebration of this spooky holiday. There will be horse-drawn wagon rides, art activities for kids, face painting and more. Aside from people having to purchase their own pumpkins, which are sold at the entrance, all activities are free. People can bring their children, date or just come carve some pumpkins with your friends.  

LGBTQ Community Needs Assessment Public Forum at 1 p.m. at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. Members of the LGBTQ Community who want to be heard can come to this forum to express their voice.   

Sunday

Little Fish Yoga at 11 a.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. People can unwind from the week and prepare for the next at the weekly event hosted by Little Fish Brewing Company. The event is free, but donations are appreciated.

Fall Harvest Jubilee at 1 p.m. at the Little Fish Brewing Co., 8675 Armitage Radd. The family friendly event will include activities such as making corn husk dolls, an apple cider press, basket weaving and kettle corn over an open fire. There will also be musical performances by Bob Stuart and Friends. Little Fish Brewing Co. is donating a dollar from each pint sold to Athens Area Mediation Services, so people can show their support, as well as participate in some fun fall celebrations.

Drop Your Shorts at 7 p.m. at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. Come and support local filmmakers at this short film event hosted by Yang Miller. There is a lot of young talent here in Athens, so it is sure to be entertaining. Admission is $5.