Athens high school Clay Davis celebrates with his team before their game on September 15, 2017. (Matt Starkey | Photo Editor)

Athens Football: Senior Bulldogs prepare to play potentially last game, play for conference title

There comes a point in every athlete’s career where they have to have their lasts: last game, last practice, the last time putting on the jersey of the team they gave four years to.

And while it is possible that Friday night’s game against Nelsonville-York won’t be Athens’ last of the season, it does not seem likely that the Bulldogs will move on to the state playoffs.

Even if it looks as if the Bulldogs season will come to an end this week, they still have something to play for: the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio division crown.

“We got one big football game left,” coach Ryan Adams said. “Records don’t mean anything.” 

The Bulldogs currently sit 10th in the Division III Region 11 standings, according to joeeitel.com. The top eight teams move on.    

They will need help to reach the eighth spot and make the playoffs for the first time since 2014, but they need to win not only to get the conference title, but also to have the shot to play one more game.

Playing Nelsonville-York, however, is unlike anything Athens has seen this season. The Bulldogs have seen offenses ranging from the triple-option to the spread to the wing-T. They will see a more traditional power look from the Buckeyes.

The Bulldog defense has been the strongest aspect of the team this season with its calling card being a seemingly relentless pursuit of the ball. The defense will need to continue this to give the Bulldogs a chance.

“It’s pound and ground,” Adams said. “It’s a matter of standing up and deciding to fight back.” 

It's also a matter of whether the defense can keep Nelsonville-York off the scoreboard and allow the offense a chance to score points needed to win, which may be a lot. Nelsonville-York averages 36 points a game. 

No matter what the Bulldogs will do Friday night and have done so far this year, the conference title and possibly a playoff berth are on the line.

“It’s like a one-game season,” Adams said. “Put the chips on the table, let the fur fly.”

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu