Clerk of Council Debra Walker, left, and Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, during the Athens City Council meeting Aug. 28. (FILE)

City Council: Members discuss traffic code amendments regarding bikes and skateboards

Athens City Council members discussed making traffic code amendments pertaining to bicycles and skateboards Uptown that would aim to make the area safer at their meeting Monday night.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said the city is planning to hold an educational awareness campaign regarding the changes Jan. 1 and issue warnings, in addition to adding more signage along Court Street.

Members discussed the possibility of adding new bike racks Uptown in response to those amendments.

Members also discussed occupancy permits and compliance forms for rental dwellings.

The occupancy permits and compliance forms for rental dwellings are going through it’s final edits and will be effective Jan. 1. 

Jaywalking offenses have been changed to an administrative fine and would be $30 for a first offense. Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, mentioned that jaywalking is particularly a problem at night.

“People just need to remember to pay attention, because not everybody can see them,” Fahl said. 

Council members also heard a presentation from the Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau on its activities in 2017 and its 2018 plans. In 2017, the visitors bureau hosted 22 travel writers, including writers from The Huffington Post and USA Today, and earned $7 million in editorial content. 

In 2018, they plan to release a new publication, Beyond the Hocking Hills, a publication exclusive to the Hocking Hills region. The visitors bureau also wants to help local businesses broaden their markets.

Council members also discussed the “halo effect,” or the additional influence tourism advertising has on someone who may be wanting to travel to the county and city. The “halo effect” can boost visitorship, business development and college recruitment. 

“(The halo effect) is crucial to further development of what’s going on in the area,” Paige Alost, executive director of the Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau, said.

Council members also heard a presentation from Matt Green from the Athens Community Television on renewing its three year contract. Athens Community Television programming has had 6,000 views for one program, and 10,000 views this year. Green did not ask for any capital improvements for Athens Community Television’s equipment.

Council members also briefly discussed city-wide holiday parking in municipal garages and on the street.

@taylorheddleson

th623316@ohio.edu