Ohio University College Democrats logo

Democrats Discuss: Words matter, Mr. President

It has never been more apparent to me that people do not understand the power words can have. Words have been used to fuel historic revolution, solve innumerable conflicts and embed love in humanity. Yet many people still haven’t learned that words matter.

Donald Trump hasn’t learned that words matter.

During the campaign, Trump was heavily criticized for mocking Megyn Kelly, saying she  “had blood coming out of her wherever.” Of course there was also audio of Trump talking about “grabbing women by their p****” because “when you’re a star, they let you do it.” In the wake of so many women coming forward with rape allegations against film producer Harvey Weinstein, the comments seem even more repulsive and vile than they did originally — which is incomprehensible.

After so much backlash towards him following these remarks, you would think that Donald Trump would’ve learned. 

Just last month, Trump referred to North Korean leaer Kim Jong Un as “Rocket Man” and tweeted, “...they won’t be around much longer!” Such aggressive rhetoric —aimed at a highly egotistical and unpredictable individual like Un — leaves America in anxious anticipation as Trump’s remarks hint at war. To leisurely tweet comments like that only endangers American lives as our enemies are further enticed to attack.

On Oct. 5, before a dinner with military officials Trump told reporters, “Maybe this is the calm before the storm.” When questioned about what he meant, Trump ominously said, “You’ll find out.” This speech only unnerves — or should unnerve — Americans further as our president is giving us vague messages on what he’s doing as president. Does he know that his every statement makes the entire world question him and subsequently, America as a whole?

Then on Tuesday, when discussing gay rights, Trump “motioned toward Pence and joked, ‘Don’t ask that guy—he wants to hang them all!'” The idea that the president would joke about hanging a group of Americans and insinuate that the vice president truly wants that group of Americans dead is atrocious. Why is there no outrage when Americans are targeted by our president and vice president?

Simply put, many Americans don’t recognize the impact or value of these words. And we’re a worse country because of it.

Hunter Graffice is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How has the new university policy affected you? Let Hunter know by dropping a tweet @HunterGraffice4.