Quentin Poling strips the football during Ohio's game against EMU on Sept. 23. The Bobcats won 27-20 in overtime. (FILE)

Football X's and O's: Kent State's phobia of passing

Kent State might have the worst offense in college football.

Out of 130 teams, the Golden Flashes rank 128th in yards per game (262), 125th in passing yards (106.3, which ranks above four triple option teams) and dead last in points per game (11).

Against Football Bowl Subdivision teams, Kent State has scored: 3, 0, 3, 13, 3 and 17 points. Removing the Football Championship Subdivision win against Howard leaves Kent State with a 6.5 points per game average against FBS teams. 

Granted, former starting quarterback Nick Holley tore his ACL in the third game of the year against Marshall. But that still doesn't make up for the ineptitude that Kent State's offense has shown this season. 

An almost exclusive running team, the Golden Flashes have thrown the ball just 109 times in seven games. 

Holley, by the way, is still the team's leading rusher. 

Breakdown

I've written X's and O's for two years now. Normally, I try to find something about the other team's offense and defense that can be noticed by watching YouTube videos. Typically, it's a player or scheme that Ohio will have to be on the lookout for.

I don't think I've ever seen an offense that has struggled as much as Kent State has. There's simply no redeeming qualities about the offense. 

Kent State just beat Miami 17-13, however, on the back of a 84-yard touchdown pass late in the third quarter. That pass didn't travel very far in the air, it was just a five-yard out route that turned into a long gain. 

The Golden Flashes don't stretch the field like most other teams do — which is understandable, considering their quarterback situation. Because of that, Kent State relies on a multitude of formations to throw off the defense. 

Kent State will line up in a five-wide set, as well as the pistol and I Formation on Saturday against Ohio. The Golden Flashes are the only team on the Bobcats schedule that routinely runs the triple option as well. Because of that, extra pressure will be put on the Bobcats front seven to maintain gap integrity.

At the 1:24:55 mark of this YouTube video, Kent State lines up in trips right. Running back Justin Rankin starts in motion from the slot and moves from right-to-left. His motion takes him behind quarterback George Bollas, who starts the triple option.

gif created by Andrew Gillis from YouTube user American Sports

Bollas hands to running back Will Matthews up the middle on the first read of the triple option. Matthews runs for a seven-yard gain.

That's where the triple option can be especially deadly, if gap integrity isn't maintained. Miami's safety read pitch, so he started out wide toward the sideline to meet Bollas and Rankin.

Kent State will also line up in the shotgun and run misdirection plays, like seen at the 50:12 mark. 

The Golden Flashes start out in a five-wide set and start a receiver from left to right in motion. He slows behind the quarterback, in what looks like a typical speed option look. 

But as Bollas starts right, wide receiver Kavious Price heads against the flow of the play on an end-around. Price takes the pitch and gains about eight before going down with a knee injury. His status is unknown.

Judgement

Misdirection is a big part of the Kent State offense and is something Ohio will have to be able to stop on Saturday.

The Bobcats are fully capable of shutting down the Golden Flashes offense, though, and honestly should be able to hold any offensive output to under two touchdowns. 

Ohio should be able to cruise to a victory on Saturday on the back of its defense. The offense could have an off-day, and it honestly wouldn't matter.

As the old saying goes, they can't win if they don't score.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu