Ohio linebacker Quentin Poling eyes Miami backup quarterback Noah Wezensky against during the Bobcats' game against the RedHawks at Yager Field on Oct. 1st, 2016. Ohio won 17-7. (FILE)

Football X's and O's: The Gus Ragland question

Ohio's defense could be predicated on something it can't control.

Miami quarterback Gus Ragland, out with a leg injury, missed his team's last two games, a narrow loss to Kent State and a win over Buffalo. But with a 10-day break since the Buffalo game, Ragland might be able to suit up against Ohio on Tuesday.

After the Buffalo game, Miami coach Chuck Martin said, "There’s a chance Gus could play.”

That could have a big impact on the Bobcats game plan for Halloween night. Ragland has 12 touchdowns and four interceptions for an average of 233 yards passing per game this season. 

If Ragland can't play, Billy Bahl will likely take the snaps for Miami. Bahl has averaged 156.6 yards per game in his three games played, with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Breakdown

Miami runs a spread option set, just like most teams in the Mid-American Conference do. The offensive line for the RedHawks isn't going to be a ground-and-pound type offense, so expect Bahl or Ragland, whichever starts, to try and complete shorter passes throughout the night. 

In either case, both quarterbacks can be dangerous to the Bobcats' secondary. A big reason, both literally and schematically, is because of wideout James Gardner. 

Gardner is 6-foot-4-inches tall and is a threat all over the field throughout the game. Ohio cornerback Bradd Ellis will likely be tasked with matching up with Gardner, though he'll likely get safety and linebacker help over the top as well.

A good example of that is at the 43:06 mark of this YouTube video from Miami's game against Kent State. On third and three from the 13, Miami goes for the end zone.

Lined up in trips right, Gardner is the lone receiver to the left. That's especially dangerous considering his ability, as that limits the amount of safety help a corner can get in a matchup Gardner will likely win. Essentially, Ohio will have to pick its poison.

Bahl sends his tight end in motion from right to left and quickly changes the play, sensing an oncoming Kent State blitz. The blitz gets picked up long enough for Bahl to throw a fade route to Gardner in the back corner of the end zone. 

The throw is right on target, and Gardner hauls in the back-shoulder throw for the touchdown. 

Judgement

Gardner could be the biggest pain in Ohio's side on Tuesday night. For the Bobcats to come away with their biggest win of the season, Gardner and Bahl will have to be contained, and perhaps Ragland, should he be available.

For Ohio, the secondary will be key in forcing punts and causing turnovers. If the Bobcats' offense is able to control both the ball and the clock, there aren't many games that they'll lose.

Ohio's road to the MAC Championship Game starts with its biggest rival. The secondary will have to shut down that passing attack, because it could also end before the trip gets started.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu