Liz Backo

From the Editor's Desk: How Posties celebrate Halloween

This week, thousands of people will flock to Court Street for the annual Athens Halloween Block Party, and The Post will be there to cover it. Among the ghouls and goblins will be Post reporters writing about events taking place and interviewing fellow partygoers. 

Halloween offers journalists the chance to engage in on-the-spot reporting, whether that is tweeting about the acts performing or talking to local law enforcement about arrests. We will be posting on Instagram, Twitter and updating our website throughout the evening. 

Our news staff members will be taking on shifts to cover the craziness Uptown. As the block party progresses, staffers will stop back at the newsroom to edit content and publish it to our website. Throughout the night, they will also be tweeting updates likely with some photos. 

Our culture staff members will be covering the entertainment on Court Street. Reporters will take shifts at the stages to report on the performances and anything wild happening in the audience. 

Then our photo staff will be running up and down Court Street capturing stellar costumes, performances and any other excitement. Keep an eye out for photo galleries on our website, which will likely be accompanying the local and entertainment roundups. 

But to lead up to all the reporting we will be doing this weekend, we decided to fill this week with a bunch of “spooky content.” That term has been said dozens of times in the past few weeks. Digital Production Editor Taylor Johnston created a Halloween landing page, and has been adding stories to it throughout the week. 

On the landing page, readers can find stories about Halloween-themed drinks, pop culture’s influence on costumes, the misconceptions of Halloween in Athens and more. 

Opinion Editor Chuck Greenlee has been hosting the “Haunted” multimedia series. He explores the legends of Athens. The first episode took place in Wilson Hall, and Greenlee detailed all the alleged spookiness that takes there. 

All around, it has been one spooky Halloween season, and Posties are looking forward to getting out in the city to cover the annual block party. 

Check back on Saturday night and Sunday morning for all our coverage, and have a safe and happy Halloween.

– Elizabeth Backo is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. What are your favorite Halloween happenings in Athens? Tell her at eb823313@ohio.edu or send her a tweet at @liz_backo.