Comissioner of Housing, Transportation & Parking Zachary Watts listens to a "speak out" during Ohio University's graduate student senate's Sept. 26, 2017, meeting. (Blake Nissen | File)

Graduate Student Senate: Members to discuss nomination of a new VPLA

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate will discuss Tuesday the nomination of a new vice president for legislative affairs as well as hear a presentation from Athens Mayor Steve Patterson.

GSS President Maria Modayil said Patterson had reached out to her earlier this academic year to meet with GSS to include students in committees and decision making in the city. Modayil believed that Patterson wanted to make sure “students are also included in that conversation of the Athens community.”

In its previous meeting, the GSS executives informed body members of an internal search for a new VPLA. Modayil described the role of VPLA falling upon herself as well as the other executives of GSS. 

Former GSS Vice President for Legislative Affairs Christopher Glick announced at the meeting Oct. 10 that he would be resigning at the end of that meeting. 

In his statement, Glick described his reasoning as “a conflict of interest that I did not have when I was elected to this position in April.” 

“I take great joy in the work that I was able to do last year as a representative and so far this year as VPLA, and I wish all of you the greatest joys and the best of luck in all of your future endeavors” Glick said at that meeting.

The Commissioner for Housing, Transportation and Parking Zachary Watts was nominated to fill the VPLA position, and the body will go into executive session to discuss the nomination.

Another resolution GSS plans to discuss includes a change to the Rules and Procedures of GSS. Currently, the Rules and Procedures only allows for the suspension of rules at the beginning of the semester instead of from meeting to meeting. 

GSS meets bi-weekly in Walter 235 at 7:30 p.m.

@juIaphant

je827416@ohio.edu