Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

GSS to discuss resources for sexual misconduct, talk freedom of expression at Tuesday meeting

During its Tuesday meeting, the Ohio University Graduate Student Senate will hear from a panel of different resources at OU dealing with sexual misconduct, including the Survivor Advocacy Program and Counseling and Psychological Services.

GSS President Maria Modayil reached out to Assistant Director of Health Promotion Mathew Hall as well as Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, about inviting the organizations to discuss what they do and their aim toward graduate students. 

Executive Director and Title IX Coordinator Sara Trower, Ohio University Police Department Chief Andrew Powers and Survivor Advocacy Program Director Kimberly Castor will also be among those speaking at the meeting. 

Because its last meeting focused on other resolutions, GSS chose to do an online vote in regards to its resolution to write a letter to start a conversation with other Ohio graduate degree granting programs condemning Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos for the proposed loosening of Title IX protections. 

The resolution passed unanimously among the body. 

Tuesday’s meeting will also include a discussion of the university’s interim freedom of expression policy.

GSS meets bi-weekly and will join together on Tuesday in Walter 235.

@juIaphant

je827416@ohio.edu