Carl Fonticella | FOR THE POST

From left to right, senior forward Mike Palasics (#28), head coach Sean Hogan, senior defender Jake Faiella (#17) and senior foward Drew Crandall (#15) pose for a portrait together. The three are the only seniors on the team, and the first seniors Hogan will have overseen since their freshman year.

The Four-Year Climb

10.05.17

Hockey: Last season on the ice

Matt Parker / For The Post

Time is a curious thing. It can fly by or go too slow, and, in most cases, having more time is desired but can’t be fulfilled.

Time is something that seniors Drew Crandall, Jake Faiella and Mike Palasics, along with coach Sean Hogan have put in together over the course of the last four years. Time together is also something they're running out of.

From the first day the group walked in the door, the combination is one Hogan will remember for a long time.

“In terms of continuity, I’m proud of them," Hogan said. "They’re Bobcats through and through.”

It was four years ago that the Bobcats announced Hogan as their next head coach. From the get-go, Hogan has established his program within the confines of Bird Arena. His foundations are his three seniors.

It only seemed like yesterday Crandall, Faiella and Palasics were lacing up their skates and stepping out onto the slushed August ice at Bird, what they call home.

“We come here every day because we love to play. We aren’t here on scholarships like anybody else — we come here and put it on the line.”senior defender Jake Faiella

Faiella and Crandall were recruited, while Palasics originally came to Ohio to try his hand at ROTC. Eventually, Palasics' love for the game took over after he earned a spot due to a spectacular tryout.

The three have been together on and off the ice for the last three years — they live together, go to practice together, go to the library together and go out together.

They make jokes at one another’s expense — mostly at the 24-year-old Faiella, who is nicknamed “the father.”

“If you have a good relationship off the ice, then it’s obviously going to transfer on the ice,” Crandall said.

Faiella and Palasics have worked wonders together on the penalty kill and, with Crandall as a solid third- and fourth-liner, the senior trio has cemented an on-ice chemistry that has fueled success for Ohio.

That chemistry added with experience, has created a timeless leadership role for the three. Faiella, the team’s captain, and Palasics, an alternate captain, have led the team through the good times and the bad — only now they have the patches on their jerseys to signify their role.

“Faiella has always been a leader; he leads by example and by voice,” goalie Jimmy Thomas said. “It’s nice with a small group because you always know who to look up to for advice. Mikey P is always a good vocal leader, as well as Hazel and Faiella — they always say little pick ups that make the guys buy into the system and make everyone happy.”

As the team’s captain, Faiella’s leadership has always been apparent.

“Jake’s been a leader since day one,” Hogan said.

With the Bobcats, the four have made deep postseason runs both in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League and, most notably, last year in the American Collegiate Hockey Association, where they finished as national runners-up.

They haven’t won a championship — at least not yet. But with a record of 85-24-10, when it’s all said and done, there won’t be any reason to hang their heads.

“We come here every day because we love to play,” Faiella said. “We aren’t here on scholarships like anybody else — we come here and put it on the line.”

For Hogan and his seniors, it’s been a fast four years. Blowout wins, heartbroken losses and all of the other statistics will be referenced upon as history moves forward.

But those are just numbers.

What really will be remembered are the times spent in Bird, running the same drill over and over again. The satisfaction of sweeping a team. The long road trips.

How, in their first year, Hogan mixed up former captain Matt Hartman’s name with Palasics’ and sent the Hartman family a Christmas card addressed to Mike. How Hogan asked Palasics how many ribs he had eaten while he was still eating. And lastly, how Hogan had told them that their time at Ohio would be the best four years of their lives.

In the blink of an eye, you can say to yourself, “where did the time go?”

For Crandall, Faiella and Palasics, they know exactly where the time went.

Development by: Megan Knapp / For The Post

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.