Garrett Elmore pushes up the ice during Ohio's game against Jamestown University on October 6, 2017. The Bobcats lost 3-2. (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Hockey: No. 5 Ohio gets by No. 14 UNLV

Ohio's 3-1 win over University of Nevada, Las Vegas, was a game that recently, Ohio has played more times than it'd like.

In their last three games, the Bobcats have outshot their opponents 141-71, but have gone just 1-2 in those games. Tonight, Ohio outshot UNLV 44-11. 

Only this time, Ohio got the job done .

“It’s frustrating,” senior Mike Palasics said. “After that first period when it was 20-2 (SOG), and they had those two shots on their first shift, it’s like, when is one going to go in?”

After a second period goal from sophomore forward Gianni Evangelisti that tied the game at one, Palasics made the shot that counted the most.

Seconds after the Bobcats’ power play expired in the third period, Matt Rudin skated into UNLV’s zone and passed it to Evangelisti who then saw Palasics. From there it was history.

“I saw (Evangelisti) put his head up and I just popped in there and I just put everything I had on it,” Palasics said.

Palasics has been a crutch for Ohio thus far, as the senior has a total of three goals, two of which, including Friday’s, have been game-winners for the Bobcats.

Ohio held a 2-1 lead up until the last few seconds of the game when UNLV goalie Ben Giesbrecht skated to the bench, giving the Rebels an extra skater, and what they thought would be an advantage.

Unfortunately for the Rebels, Tyler Harkins scored to seal the deal for the Bobcats. 

As they prepare for the last game of the series, the Bobcats know that despite the frustration of outplaying their opponents and not getting the results they want, they’re still a good team.

“We’re dominating teams right now,” coach Sean Hogan said. “We’re one of the best teams, we just have to keep digging to get the results.”

Ohio (5-2-0) gets another chance Saturday night against UNLV (5-2-0) to keep digging when the puck drops at 7:30 in Bird Arena.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu