Timmy Thurnau watches the puck as it pops up during Ohio's Green vs. White Scrimmage on Sept. 15. (FILE)

Hockey Notebook: Ohio is where it expected to be after a month

Before the season started, some question marks surrounded Ohio. 

Would there be enough depth? How would the loss of a 10-man senior class effect its playoff picture? Can they make it back to the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Championship?

The answer to all of these questions simply can’t be answered in only a month into the season, but they can be explored.

In the past few seasons, Ohio has been known to score goals in heaps and bunches in its first month back on the ice. This season has been no exception as the Bobcats have scored 38 goals in the eight games they’ve played, averaging out at 4.75 goals per game.

For coach Sean Hogan, it’ll do, but he wants to see more growth.

“We went through a stretch of games where it was hard for us to score a goal,” Hogan said. “We scored seven goals (last) Saturday, we need to continue to do that.”

Ohio’s stretch of struggles began just two weeks ago when it faced a much-improved Jamestown team at home. The Jimmies limited the Bobcats to only three goals the whole weekend, yet Ohio outshot Jamestown 97-42. 

Bad bounces due to the conditions at Bird Arena and sensational play from opposing goalies ultimately prevented the Bobcats from putting up the goals fans are used to seeing.

What makes all 38 of these goals impressive, is that almost all of them have been at even strength. In 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 situations this year, the Bobcats have scored 34 of their 38 goals. Inversely however, the power play has been struggling.

“I think it’ll just get better and better,” Hogan said. “A little bit of a dry spot with it, but it’s not like we aren’t getting chances.”

Recently, Ohio changed its power play scheme from a 1-2-2 to a 1-3-1, a scheme that will allow the Bobcats quick skaters to play off of one another and create better scoring opportunities.

While its offense has progressively gotten better and better, Ohio’s defense too has seen improvement.

A young defensive unit led by senior captain Jake Faiella has experienced growth, but still has a way to go.

“We’re playing really well right now by we’re not at that championship caliber,” Faiella said.

A defense that on average has allowed 1.75 goals per game so far would appear to be at a “championship caliber” but compared to a year ago, the Bobcats allowed only 1.12 goals per game. 

The slight increase can be seen in its youth as Ohio added two new defensemen to the team in sophomore Nick Grose and freshman Shawn Baird, upping the total to five underclassmen.

Where Ohio has undoubtedly shinned thus far is in the net behind sophomore goalie Jimmy Thomas.

“He’s played really well,” Hogan said. “He’s been consistent; we’re really pleased with him so far.”

After taking the starting position last season, it’s Thomas' job to lose. In eight games the goaltender has a save percentage average of .923 percent and 11 goals against.

“There’s always room for improvement,” Thomas said. “I need to stay focused in games where I don’t get many shots.”

Thomas has gone 5-2 in the Bobcats first eight games of the year.

For Ohio to continue its ascension into becoming the team it wants to be, there's a simple answer — at least for coach Hogan.

“We have to keep battling, we have to keep doing our thing,” he said. “We have to get better every day.”

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu