Joey Breslin (#13) dekes though the offensive zone during Ohio's game against Central Oklahoma in the ACHA National Championship on March 13. (FILE)

Hockey: Ohio completes sweep of Navy behind Elmore's two goals

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — In their first visit to the Naval Academy, the Bobcats struggled to play their game, yet they came away with a weekend sweep over the Midshipmen that was completed by a 4-1 win Saturday night.

The Bobcats managed Saturday’s victory due to sophomore Garrett Elmore’s two goals. Elmore’s first goal came halfway through the second period in a moment in which Ohio’s offense bullied Navy and registered shot after shot on goal.

After an offensive zone faceoff won by Bryan Lubin, he dumped the puck to Elmore; from a few inches away from the blue line, Elmore ripped a shot that gave Ohio the first goal of the game.

The second goal wasn’t scored as easily. The Midshipmen were persistent in their fight against the Bobcats, and a scrum deep in the offensive zone led to a stray puck. Off a shot from Jacob Houston, Elmore poked in his second goal of the night, locking in a 2-0 lead.

“I really just tried to get the puck on net,” Elmore said. “You can’t be too fancy here, so I was trying to do what I can do.”

Ohio held onto its 2-0 lead until the third period. Plagued with penalties from the halfway point of the second period through most of the third, Navy took advantage on one of its power plays and were able to slide a goal past Jimmy Thomas.

Luckily for the Bobcats, that was the only goal the Midshipmen would score on the night, despite having plenty of shots on goal.

Even though Ohio scored 10 goals while only giving up three over the weekend, coach Sean Hogan knows his team can do better.

“It was a big ol' slopfest,” Hogan said. “We got a little bit away from our game.”

In its first road series of the year, Ohio’s lack of experience was apparent. Playing on rinks larger than their home ice and still developing lines and special teams plays, the Bobcats were tested throughout the weekend.

Despite the adversity faced so early in the season, that's one of the positive the Bobcats can lean on from this weekend: They’ve been tested early.

“It feels good to get those first two road wins out of the way,” Hogan said. “We have a lot to work on, but it feels good.”

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu