Garrett Elmore pushes up the ice during Ohio's game against Jamestown University on October 6, 2017. The Bobcats lost 3-2. (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Hockey: Ohio hopes to break out against new ACHA foe UNLV

After an unlucky weekend during which Ohio got swept in consecutive regulation games for just the second time in the last two years, the Bobcats aren't changing much in their game plan for a similar type of opponent this weekend.

Ohio will look to capitalize on its opportunities more frequently when it plays University of Nevada Las Vegas this weekend at Bird Arena.

It will be the first meeting between the two teams because UNLV entered the American Collegiate Hockey Association this season.

"It's a totally different team than last year," coach Sean Hogan said on UNLV. "Literally 50 percent of that team is new guys. They got some Division I players and it's going to be a contest."

Robone Update

UNLV received great news from Nick Robone, its assistant coach, who was injured in the Oct. 1 Route 91 Harvest festival shootings.

Robone, 28, was released from the hospital and continues to recover, according to a tweet from Robone on Tuesday.

While Robone will not be with UNLV in Athens, the traveling experience should be a positive step forward for the Skatin' Rebels in what has been an emotional start to the season, according to UNLV general manager Zee Khan.

"The positive stuff that is coming out of Nick's recovery is really helping," Khan said about how the team has coped with the absence of their assistant coach. "For them, the games last weekend were really emotional, but at the same time, it's getting away from it as well."

UNLV won its pair of games against Utah last weekend, and this weekend's trip to Athens will be many players' first time out of the city since the shooting, which Khan believes will help the team heal.

"Our Friday night game was extremely emotional," Khan said. "It was covered by everybody. They kept their minds on it, and coming out now this week, too, out of Vegas is probably their next step in getting away."

For more information on Robone and the story of his brother's effort toward his survival, read this story by Alex Prewitt of Sports Illustrated.

Bobcats looking for better fortunes

Ohio gave Jamestown everything it could handle last weekend, but the outcome never ended in the Bobcats' favor.

Ohio outshot Jamestown with a combined 97-42 shots on goal tally last weekend. UNLV boasts similar characteristics as the Jimmies — big players and quick speed — so the Bobcats will use a similar game style in hopes of a similar shot total this weekend.

Hogan is confident that the form his team has showed in practices will translate to success on the scoreboard and prove last weekend was a fluke.

"Our process has been good," Hogan said. "I thought we played well for four of the six periods last weekend, and we didn't get the result. You got to focus on the process sometimes, and our process has been good."

Part of that process is the power play, which Ohio changed this week.

While they won't know how strong their new power play is until this weekend, the Bobcats are encouraged by the results in practice so far.

"First time we're practicing it everyday and we're doing a little bit of different things," team captain Jake Faiella said on the new strategy. "Guys really like it. It's something new and it's something to get focused on."

No. 5 Ohio (4-2-0) will start its first game against No. 14 UNLV (5-1-0) on Friday. The puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday at Bird Arena.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu