Garrett Elmore pushes up the ice during Ohio's game against Jamestown University on October 6, 2017. The Bobcats lost 3-2. (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Hockey: Ohio ranks eighth in ACHA's first computerized rankings

Ohio ranked No. 8 on Wednesday in the American Collegiate Hockey Association's first national rankings via computer.

The Bobcats were previously ranked No. 5. 

Past rankings were made through a coaches poll, but the league will now switch to computer-based rankings for the rest of the season, according to a news release from the ACHA.

The computerized rankings, which are compiled from USHSHO.com, are created using analysis of goal differential, according to the release.

"The ACHA will use the two computer rankings generated by USHSHO.com, Ranking A (Wins with Maximum Goal Differential of 7) and Ranking B (Wins with Maximum Goal Differential of 1), and come up with an average of the two rankings," the release read.

A top-four finish in the rankings ensures an additional day off in the national tournament.

"The ACHA will then use the list generated from the average for its weekly ranking," the release continued. "Ties will be broken using the higher ranked team from Ranking B until the Top 25 teams are listed. Games that go to a shootout will be scored as ties."

The new rankings aren't friendly for Ohio. The Bobcats were penalized three spots despite sweeping No. 14 University of Nevada, Las Vegas last weekend. Ohio only has two non-ranked opponents left on the schedule in Pitt and Oakland. All other 12 opponents are currently in the top-25, and six are in the top-15.

Also notable is the ranking of the only team to beat Ohio so far this season. Jamestown, which swept the Bobcats at home on Oct. 6-7, is ranked fourth after previously holding the 11th spot.

Ohio (6-2-0) has its first chance to move up in the rankings when it plays No. 11 Stony Brook (6-0-0) at Bird Arena on Friday and Saturday. 

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu