Jack and Kevin have a lot of things in common. (PROVIDED by Entertainment Weekly)

Kevin is heading down a dark path on ‘This Is Us’

It seems Kevin (Justin Hartley) and his dad are similar in more ways than one. In Tuesday’s episode of This Is Us, Kevin’s obvious addiction got worse, a trait that connects him and Jack (Milo Ventimiglia). 

In the Oct. 17 episode, Kevin underwent surgery after suffering an injury on a movie set. The doctor prescribed him painkillers, and he initially refused to take them because they made him feel weird. The most recent episode picked up with him calling for a refill even though he was out of refills. Kevin was in New York visiting Sophie (Alexandra Breckenridge) and attending a gala for her job, so the doctor was unable to refill it. 

A stressed out Kevin turns to alcohol to make himself feel better. Sophie notices the uncharacteristic behavior and asks what he’s doing. He lies to her about the pills and just says he wants to have fun and relax. 

Kevin offered to be sold off for charity, but he misses the chance to go on stage because he was drinking and seeking refills again. Sophie is rightfully mad at him and Kevin chooses to walk back to Sophie’s apartment to get air. 

Jack is known for his struggles with alcoholism, and it appears Kevin is heading down a similar path. This Is Us does a great job of connecting storylines from the past with the ones in present day. It is obvious the writers are trying to compare Jack and Kevin. That brings hope to the storyline — if Jack can move past his addiction, so can Kevin. 

Some people talked about it on Twitter:

This Is Us airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on NBC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu