Letter to the Editor: Anti-semitism on campus, around world

Recent events have demonstrated that antisemitism has not disappeared from our society.  Rather it appears to be making a large-scale comeback. From the violent protest in Charlottesville, to events on my own campus at Ohio University, we have witnessed some troubling developments. Just this past week on the morning before Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, and the most important holiday in the Jewish religion, two swastikas were found painted on buildings and sidewalks on OU’s campus. In our small, tightly-knit Athens community, this was particularly shocking. Even here the new wave of antisemitism has raised its ugly head. It was only three years ago that our campus made national news headlines after former Student Senate President Megan Marzec created the “Blood Bucket Controversy” by dumping fake blood on herself in response to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to protest the State of Israel. This anti-Zionism, the belief that the Jewish people do not have a right to a country in their ancient homeland of Israel, was transforming into a new and more publicly acceptable form of antisemitism.

While those on the far-right have recently begun to make national news as they wave around swastikas and chant, “Jews will not replace us,” the story of antisemitism on the left is a bit different and carries with it some deeper ramifications. Social justice movements that advocate for positive change such as gay rights and women’s rights, leave Jews out of their protection, and even worse often protest against Jews. It was just several months ago when three people were removed from the “Chicago Dyke March” for wearing the Jewish Pride Flag, which consists of the Star of David on the rainbow flag used to represent the LGBT community.

Sadly, this type of exclusive and divisive action and language that targets Jews has become all too common. Left-leaning political entities even at Ohio University have adopted this discriminatory position. A vigil held on campus following the devastating attack in Charlottesville included speakers from a variety of student and Athens community groups. A member of the Athens Chapter of the International Socialist Organization came to the microphone and began to make outrageous statements detesting the State of Israel, and calling for the University to join the Boycott, Divest, and Sanction (BDS) movement, a racist and anti-Semitic organization that seeks the destruction of the State of Israel.

The anti-Semitism of far-right extremist groups is long-standing, but of limited public appeal. Its emergence in the political left, and the pace with which anti-Semitism has infiltrated social justice movements is cause for considerable concern. Movements that are supposed to advocate for the acceptance and inclusion of all, now seek to alienate and disparage Jews. If we fail to speak up and confront this now, I fear for our future.

Adam Ben-Porath is a Political Science and Global Studies, War and Peace Major at Ohio University.