Athens Mayor Steve Patterson (left) greets Duane Nellis (right) at the Athens community member breakfast on Monday, June 12th.

Mayor Steve Patterson tells you what you need to know for Halloween Weekend

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson discussed the city’s plan for the Halloween block party this weekend at his press conference Wednesday.

Honey for Heart will be doing a parade for the fourth year in a row Saturday at 6:00 p.m. The parade route is from Fern Street to Union Street and back, Patterson said. The city will also host a Halloween costume ball for the first time at Central Venue after the parade.

The city is partnering with volunteers from the Athens Clean and Safe Halloween Committee to create a safe, clean environment for guests and local residents. Local businesses also chipped in to help.

“It’s refreshing to see everybody come together to work for a common goal,” Jonathan Holmberg, a chairman for the Athens Clean and Safe Halloween Committee said.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle also attended the press conference to discuss safety at the block party. APD has made “notable enhancements” to its security plans this year, but he did not discuss the changes.

“I am hoping that everyone who does participate in the Uptown block party is safe and civil,” Patterson said.

@taylorheddleson

th623316@ohio.edu