Shane Gillian, a Junior studying industrial engineering, poses for a portrait on Court Street during Halloween events in Athens, Ohio. (BLAKE NISSEN | FILE)

New OU students prepare for first Halloween experience on campus

For many students, whether they’re cramming to make a decision at the last minute or have known what they wanted to be since the summer, an original and eye-catching costume is essential for the Athens Halloween Block Party.  

For freshmen, it can be an opportunity to show their creativity and stand out among the masses of people in costume. 

Jameson Hern, Ken McKinley and Sam Solis, all three freshmen studying business, and Braden Long, a freshman studying engineering, will roam Court Street clothed in lederhosen. 

“We aren’t just Germans,” Hern said. “We’re Bavarian men.” 

The group is prepared and has made the choice to wear clothes for warmth under the lederhosen. 

Hern isn’t worried about the temperature and jokingly said “the spirits shall warm our blood.” 

For many, it’s all about what they have. Rachel Mark, a freshman studying journalism, is utilizing a short black wig in both of her costumes. She’ll be dressing up as Edna Mode from The Incredibles on Friday night and Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction on Saturday night. 

“I like to think it’s fun, and they’ve got the same hairstyles,” said Mark. 

Another fun aspect of Halloween is how people can incorporate things they enjoy into their costume. Grace Brezina, a freshman studying journalism, and her boyfriend will taunt all the Cleveland Indians fans. Brezina will be dressed as the World Series trophy and her boyfriend will portray a Chicago Cubs player.

“Sorry, Cleveland fans,” Brezina said laughing. 

al857916@ohio.edu

@alexlaflin