People's Bank of Nelsonville robbed Monday morning

A suspect robbed the People's Bank of Nelsonville, 951 E. Canal St., Monday morning, according to a news release from the Nelsonville Police Department.

Following an investigation, police made contact with Kyle Alexander Jones, 19, according to the news release. Police took Jones into custody based on two active warrants from Perry County. Jones has also been charged with one count of robbery.

Jones slid a note to the teller, and no weapons were shown during the robbery, according to the release. Jones then fled on foot toward Chestnut Street with an undisclosed amount of money.

After the robbery occurred, Nelsonville-York City Schools entered a "soft lockdown," Superintendent Mick McClelland said

"What we do is the kids don't go out for (gym class) or the elementary school kids don't go out for recess, but we conduct business as usual, and of course, nobody gets in the building unless we absolutely know who it is," McClelland said. 

The "soft lockdown" was lifted around 2 p.m., Diana Mayles, superintendent secretary, said.

"As far as I know, everything is back to normal," Mayles said. "I know they are releasing high schools and junior high right now."

Hocking College Police Department, Athens County Sheriff's Office and Post 5 of the Ohio State Highway Patrol all assisted Nelsonville Police Department in the investigation.

Jones is scheduled to appear in Athens County Municipal Court on Tuesday morning.

@thenextbigming

kp003216@gmail.com