An OUPD vehicle parked outside of Scott Quad. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Cows wander neighborhood; two concrete lions reported stolen

On Thursday, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call from a man about his neighbor’s cows walking around in the neighborhood in Millfield, according to a sheriff's report.

Deputies got in contact with the owner of the cows. A faulty gate had allowed them to escape from their fields. "The gate was secured and the cows were returned without incident," according to the report.

Come back later

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle on Elliotsville Road. 

Deputies located the “large box truck” parked in the driveway of a home. They spoke to the driver, who said he was sent from Florida to pick up a package, according to a sheriff's report.

Because it was after midnight, deputies woke up the homeowner, who said he was supposed to give a package to someone. And because it was so late, however, the man said he wanted the driver to leave and return at a "decent time." Deputies spoke to the driver, who said he would return in the morning.

Lion and stealin'

Deputies assisted the Washington County Sheriff’s Office with finding two concrete lions that a man reported stolen on Saturday, according to a sheriff's report. 

The lions were found at the end of a driveway on Thompson Ridge Road. The man said the lions were his, and Athens deputies remained “at the request of Washington County” while the man took his lions back.

Home gardening

The sheriff’s office arrested a woman on Wednesday after marijuana plants were found in her home, according to a sheriff's report.

Deputies removed 21 marijuana plants from an "indoor grow" in the residence. The woman was arrested on two active warrants, and charges will be requested through the grand jury.

Schooled

The sheriff's office took a report of counterfeit money being deposited into a bank account on Tuesday.

Deputies were told the counterfeit money deposited was from a school function in Albany.

The investigation was started by the credit union that had the counterfeit money. It sent the money to the FBI for analysis.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu