Sarina Dirrig defends the ball during the game against Central Michigan on September 24, 2017. The Bobcats won 3-0. (Abigail Dean | For The Post)

Soccer: Bobcats at home against Buffalo, travel to Akron as MAC Play heats up

The Bobcats have experienced nearly every possible outcome, although they are just four games into Mid-American Conference play.

Following back-to-back home victories, Ohio (5-6-1, 2-1-1) went on the road this past week and dropped a tough game to Ball State and drew with rival Miami.

So with Buffalo (4-5-2, 2-1-1) next on the schedule, the conference schedule for the Bobcats isn't getting any easier. The Bulls currently sit directly behind the Bobcats in the MAC East standings.

“It’s anyone’s game,” junior goalie Erin Beurket said. “As long as you come out and want to work and play, because on any given day anyone can win.”

The Bulls are in a similar position as the Bobcats, and with two teams so evenly matched, it may come down to the little things to decide this contest.

Coach Aaron Rodgers believes that one of those things may be the home-field advantage. The Bobcats are currently 5-1 at Chessa Field.

“We’ve been strong at home all season,” Rodgers said. “We expect to come out strong and continue that trend.”

Buffalo is coming off a weekend in which it earned a 2-1 victory over Eastern Michigan. The Bulls then played Central Michigan to a 0-0 draw.

Ohio will need to watch out for Carissima Cutrona. She leads the Bulls with five goals and 23 shots on goals this season.

Kickoff will be Thursday at 4 p.m. at Chessa Field.

Following that game, the Bobcats will be back on the road to take on Akron (1-9-2, 0-3-1).

Away games have been a weakness for Ohio, who is currently still winless on the road.

Rodgers is aware of the team’s road struggles, but does not allow that to change their approach to the game.

“It’s a conference game, so we know it’s going to be a challenge,” Rodgers said. “If we put a few things together against Akron, we’ll do well.”

Kickoff for the game will be Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cub Cadet Field.

@_relyt_j

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports