Sarina Dirrig defends the ball during Ohio's game against Central Michigan on Sept. 24. (FILE)

Soccer: Bobcats beat Western Michigan in overtime thriller, drop game to Northern Illinois in weekend set

Despite a tough loss Sunday to Northern Illinois, Ohio still finds itself in the thick of the Mid-American Conference playoff race.

Even with the Huskies (8-6-1, 5-3-0 MAC) pulling out a 1-0 win, the Bobcats (7-8-1, 4-3-1 MAC) is third in the MAC East and fighting for positioning with three games left in its season.

The contest with Northern Illinois was a bit of a rough one for Ohio, as it was only able to get three shots (one on goal) off all game.

Ohio started off the game aggressively, a trend for the team, with a shot on goal by Sydney Leckie in the fourth minute.

The Huskies scored the game’s lone goal thanks to a Natalie Yass shot in the 31st minute.

In the second half, the Bobcats were unable to get anything going — they had one shot after the break, with Northern Illinois’ defense shutting down any hopes of Ohio tying the game.

The game on Friday against Western Michigan (8-6-1, 3-4-1 MAC) was a different story.

In the 75th minute — with the Bobcats down 1-0 following an Emma Kahn goal early in the second half — Mandy Arnzen scored her first goal of the season and sent the game into extra time.

After waiting until late in the game to get on the board, Ohio ended the game just one minute into overtime when Remi Eades sent the ball to the far post to give the team a dramatic 2-1 victory.

The win over Western Michigan gave Ohio back-to-back road victories after it started the season 0-5 away from Chessa Field.

This week, the Bobcats will return to Athens to play Bowling Green on Friday and Toledo on Sunday for Senior Day.

@_relyt_j

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports