Paige Knorr fights for the ball during Ohio's game against Buffalo on Thursday. (FILE)

Soccer: Bobcats rebound nicely with huge win at Akron

How a team responds to a tough loss always shows how invested and mindful that team is. On Sunday, Ohio proved it was both.

After Thursday’s heartbreaking defeat at Buffalo, in which the Bobcats allowed the Bulls to score two goals in the final five minutes of play after leading 1-0 , Ohio had just three days to regain its confidence and composure ahead of another big Mid-American Conference matchup with Akron. It did so in a huge way. 

The Bobcats (6-7-1, 3-2-1 MAC) picked up their first road win of the season by shutting out the Zips (1-11-2, 0-5-1 MAC) 5-0. 

Allie Curry ignited the torch for the Bobcats early on with a goal off a corner kick in the 6th minute, giving the Bobcats a 1-0 lead.

The Bobcats tested the endurance of the Zips throughout the first half, taking ten shots, four of them on goal. Despite the offensive push, however, the score still remained 1-0 at halftime. Early in the second, the Bobcats’ relentlessness would pay off. 

A Curry deflection led to a Hannah Jaggers goal in the 52nd minute of play, forcing the Zips into a frenzy. The goal was Jaggers' fourth of the season. 

However, she was not finished quite yet. 

Jaggers headed in another goal in the 78th minute from three yards out off a corner kick from Sara Kattainen. Her fifth goal of the year gave her team a safe 3-0 advantage, but the aggressive mentality of the Bobcats wasn’t going away. 

The Bobcats added two more goals in the final ten minutes of the contest. In the 83rd minute, Olivia Sency blasted in a goal off a Sarina Dirrig assist from 15 yards out. It was the first goal of the sophomore’s collegiate career.

Minutes later, Dirrig recorded yet another assist when Paige Pappanastos knocked in her first career goal in the 87th minute.

As a team, the Bobcats finished with 22 shots, double the Zips' total. Sydney Malham had four saves on the day while playing all 90 minutes for the Bobcats in the net. Jaggers finished with two goals on four shot attempts, leading the team. Sydney Leckie and Curry both took four shots, each with two on goal. 

The Bobcats were very satisfied with the quick rebound victory following Thursday’s stumble. The 5-0 beatdown was the Bobcats’ sixth shutout of the season. 

The Bobcats will be away from home again this Friday as they travel to Western Michigan to face the Broncos. The game is scheduled to start at 4 p.m. 

@j_flann10

jf913115@ohio.edu