Allie Curry fights for the ball against Bowling Green. After double overtime, the Bobcats tied 1-1 with the Falcons on October 19, 2017. (Emilee Chinn | For The Post)

Soccer: Ohio's season comes to heartbreaking end

Sometimes teams just fall short. 

Ohio was one of those teams in Sunday’s Mid-American Conference Tournament quarterfinal in Kent.

The Bobcats gave No. 1 seed Kent State everything they had in the first round of the MAC Tournament, before falling 4-2 in a penalty kick shootout inside Dix Stadium.

Three days after dropping its regular season finale to Kent State by a final of 2-1, Ohio (7-10-3) came out strong and confident as Allie Curry launched a dangerous shot in the second minute, forcing the Kent State keeper to make an early save.

Remi Eades had another breakaway opportunity for the Bobcats in the 21st minute, however, her shot would go just high of the net. For most of the remainder of the game, the Bobcats were forced to defend.

Kent State’s high-powered offense pushed the Bobcats deeper and deeper until their defensive wall broke. Vital Kats got the ball from Cameron Shedenhelm and fired a shot into the back of the net. After an exciting and back and forth 64 minutes of play, Kent State (13-5-2) got on the board first. 

As Ohio saw its life flash before its eyes, it went back on the offensive attack. Ohio would tie the game at one in the 69th minute when Mandy Arnzen brushed the ball past the Kent State keeper off a well-executed corner kick from Sara Kattainen. 

Kent State registered five of the next seven shots to close out regulation, however, Erin Beurket had a great performance in goal for the Bobcats. The imposing and commanding Beurket prevented any further goals and the game headed into overtime.

The first threatening series by either team in overtime came in the 98th minute when Ohio’s corner kick was denied off a tip from the Kent State keeper.

In the second overtime period, the Bobcats put forth an incredible defensive stand. The Bobcats denied the Golden Flashes on three consecutive corner kicks, keeping the score 1-1 and forcing the to penalty kicks.

Kent State shot the ball perfectly, going 4-4 in the penalty kick round, ending Ohio’s season. 

The Golden Flashes vaulted ahead early, taking a 2-1 lead after an Eades miss. Sydney Leckie then tied the shootout with her goal. However, after Alivia Milesky’s shot was saved, the Golden Flashes scored again, ending the shootout at 4-2. 

Despite Ohio pushing the Golden Flashes to their brink, the Flashes’ shot attempts compared to Ohio might have been a critical difference in the game. The Golden Flashes had 21 shots with eight on goal while the Bobcats only registered nine with four on goal. 

Erin Beurket finished a busy day at the net with seven saves. Madelyn Kah and Milesky led Ohio in shots with two each.

Sunday’s contest was the final game in green and white for Ohio seniors Celeste Fushimi-Karns, Megan Niebuhr, Hannah Jaggers, Katie McCurley, Bryce Hueber and Allie Curry. The six ended their careers as one of the most successful graduating classes in the history of the program. 

@j_flann10

jf913115@ohio.edu