Ohio's dugout storms the field after Madison Claytor's homerun during their game agianst Northern Illinois University (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Softball: Bobcats complete fall schedule with 6-2 record

Ohio wrapped up its fall schedule Saturday with a doubleheader sweep of Cedarville. The Bobcats went 6-2 over their fall slate.

While the Bobcats had a winning record over the fall, they won’t celebrate too much — they know have work to do.

“It was fall,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We came out with some wins; we got a chance to show some kind of competition and grit. We also got to see some things we need to work on.”

After losing Savannah Jo Dorsey, one of the nation’s top pitchers last season, to graduation, the Bobcats needed someone to step up alongside senior Danielle Steine.

Hermanek liked what she saw.

“They were competing every pitch,” she said of her players. “They maintained some really good poise.”

One standout was freshman Madi McCrady, who threw two complete games, giving up three runs between the two starts.

“She grew on each pitch that she threw,” Hermanek said. 

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Bobcats won 9-5. They scored eight runs in the fourth inning, with Morgan Geno hitting a three-run double to get the scoring started.

The Bobcats won the second game 3-2. McCrady pitched the second of her complete games. Alex Day hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning to put the Bobcats ahead. 

Ohio went 2-2 over the first weekend in its fall games of the year. Ohio lost both games on that first Saturday to Marshall, 9-4 and 3-2.

MacKenzie Brunswick had a solo home run in the first game, the offensive highlight of Saturday for the Bobcats.

The Bobcats only gave up runs in two innings in each game but gave up eight runs in the third inning of the first game.

On Sunday, the Bobcats found a little more success, however.

They won the first game over Ohio Dominican 4-1.

McCrady pitched one of her complete games, with a solo home run in the second inning the only blemish on a good day.

Katie Yun, a freshman, hit a sacrifice fly in the fifth inning to give the Bobcats the lead in the game, and Michaela Dorsey hit a two-run double to cushion the lead.

The Bobcats won the second game of the day in six innings, 9-1 over Ohio Valley.

Brunswick got the scoring started early for the Bobcats in the game with a three-run triple in the first inning, and Yun added a RBI single in the inning.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu