President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 MCKINLEY LAW | PHOTO EDITOR

Student Senate: Members to discuss potential legal consultant for international students

After Ohio University Student Senate discussed the interim “Freedom of Expression” policy during its previous two meetings, senate will take action with two bills and two resolutions at its Wednesday meeting. 

Two bills are on the agenda for Wednesday night’s meeting. One of those asks the university to hire a consultant to provide legal advice to international, immigrant and undocumented students. The other asks that the space outside Baker Center’s fourth floor entrance be a reservable space. 

The conversation about the university hiring a legal consultant began at last week’s Graduate Student Senate meeting. Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina said the idea of hiring a legal consultant to come to campus twice a month to provide legal advice to international, immigrant and undocumented students was brought to him, according to a previous Post report. 

Pina also said working with GSS and Student Senate to hire a consultant is something the university could potentially do. According to some GSS members, 10 peer universities of OU have a form of consulting for students provided through international student affairs. 

The bill comes after President Donald Trump’s administration made changes regarding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, that protects young, undocumented immigrants. The administration also restricted almost all travel from eight countries and replaced a portion of the controversial travel ban signed earlier this year. 

In addition to that bill, Student Senate will discuss asking that the area outside of Baker Center be available for reservation by students for small events. 

Last week, members of the Ohio University Graduate Employee Organization (OU GEO) protested outside of Baker Center to raise awareness for their organization and get signatures for a petition. However, Elliot Long, doctoral candidate and co-president of OU GEO, said when OU GEO went to reserve the outside space, it was no longer available to be reserved, and it was being removed from the possible spaces to reserve. 

“I’m going to do what I can to ask they not remove this as one of the spaces that can be reserved,” Long said. 

Student Senate will start the meeting with a Student Speakout with no specific topic assigned, and will also hear from Associate Vice President for University Planning Shawna Bolin. Additionally, senate will vote to appoint two people to commissions. 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu