President Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30. (FILE)

Student Senate will present OU President Nellis with bill of support

For the first time in Ohio University history, Student Senate will present an OU president with a bill in support of his presidential administration. 

The bill will be presented at OU President Duane Nellis' Presidential Investiture at 2 p.m. Wednesday. 

“At that time, (Student Senate President Landen Lama) will hand Dr. Nellis this bill, which will symbolize the new relationship between the president and Student Senate,” Public Relations Director Sara Defibaugh said. 

Lama said the bill of partnership was his idea. He looked in the senate archives and saw no senate body had done anything similar. 

“I’m all about creating milestones,” Lama said. “This was a perfect way for us. We really are supportive of President Nellis and the administration.”

In the bill, each commission lists their requests for Nellis. Lama said those lines are the most important part of the bill. 

The requests for Nellis include keeping safety for international students and minority groups a top priority, promoting the Paris climate agreement, increasing efforts toward carbon neutrality and more.

“Student Senate wants to make sure that student voices are heard throughout his presidency, while also opening up that line of honest and transparent communication with the president,” Defibaugh said. 

Lama said the senate is still beginning to work with Nellis because it is only week eight of Fall Semester. So far, he said his primary job is to serve as a liaison between Nellis and the student body. 

“Student input was vital throughout the search process for a new president,” the Student Senate bill reads. “Therefore we believe student input will continue to be essential to the success of President Nellis.”

At the investiture, Lama said each OU senate chair will have a few minutes onstage to welcome Nellis on behalf of their constituents. 

Lama will present Nellis with a framed copy of the bill.

“It’s our token of appreciation to him and (indicates) that we can work together,” Lama said. 

@stasia_nicholas

an631715@ohio.edu