One of the Google reviews of Ohio University. (screenshot via Google)

The good, the bad and the haunted: What online reviewers think of OU

Google’s review system gives everyone a platform to share their opinions about a certain place or experience, for better or worse. 

As of Sunday, Ohio University has 183 reviews on Google with a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. The top three reviews are positive. Many of the reviews talk about the campus' beauty and the reviewer’s personal experiences at the university.

One of the more negative reviewers wrote, “OU is where you go if you don’t get into Ohio State. Ohio State is superior to OU in every way aside from parties. This school is a horribly academically ranked school and if you are serious about your education, it should never be considered.”

According to U.S. News & World Report, OU ranked 78th out of the top 100 public schools nationwide. That ranking was determined by data from colleges on 15 indicators of academic excellence. Those indicators include: graduation and retention rates, undergraduate academic reputation, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving rate.

The Princeton Review, however, listed OU on its "Financial Aid Not So Great,” "Least Accessible Professors” and "Professors Get Low Marks” lists. OU did not make The Princeton Review's list of the top 20 party schools in America, as it often has in the past. 

Another reviewer wrote, “Ohio University strives to be the best student-centered, transformative learning community in America, where students realize their promise, faculty advance their knowledge, staff achieve excellence, and alumni become global leaders! OHIO is the university that fits what you want to do and who you want to be. It’s the place where you can be yourself-- and become your best self!”

There are a fair share of odd reviews as well.

One reviewer gave a three-star review and simply wrote, “It’s haunted.”

OU’s wide variety of reviews showcase many different experiences on campus from many different people. Whether the reviews are positive, negative, odd or seemingly trivial, it can be important to communicate different experiences to others.

@taylorheddleson

th623316@ohio.edu