Here's what's coming to and leaving Netflix in October. (photo via strangerthingstv)

Top ten costumes you’ll see at the Halloween Block Party

The annual Athens Halloween Block Party is fast approaching and many students are looking for that one costume (or two) to make a statement. If you’re looking for a unique list of costumes, you’ve come to the wrong place. Here are the top ten costumes you’ll be seeing this Halloween: 

1. Wonder Woman

Although she has been a long-standing figure in the superhero community, Wonder Woman has kicked major butt this year. Thanks to Gal Gadot’s portrayal of the character, Wonder Woman grossed $800 million worldwide and reinvigorated everyone’s love for this character. So you’re guaranteed to see many people dressed in Wonder Woman’s warrior gear including her lasso and her bullet proof bracelets. 

2. Characters from Stranger Things

The Netflix original series has taken the world by storm thanks to its ‘80s nostalgia and memorable characters. At the block party, expect to see Eleven’s iconic look — a blonde wig, a pink dress and a trickle of blood coming from one nostril. You also might see some simple work clothes and some Christmas lights dangled around one’s neck as an ode to Winona Ryder’s character, Joyce. We could also see some completely new renderings of the characters after season two is released on Oct. 27th. 

3. Pennywise from IT

Thanks to the new adaptation of Stephen King’s 1986 novel, everyone is once again afraid of clowns and what lies in sewers. For those who want to have a relevant pop culture costume, Pennywise should be haunting the streets of Athens this year. Considering the generality of this character, expect to see many different forms of the character. Those who suffer from coulrophobia may want to stay in. 

4. Belle from Beauty and the Beast

When thinking of Disney’s 1991 animated classic, many think of Belle’s iconic yellow dress. This year, Disney reinvented this classic film with Emma Watson as the book-loving heroine and, like IT, it made everyone become fascinated with this story again. Due to the many lives this story has had, Belle’s ballroom dress and village dress from both films could be worn by those in attendance. 

5. President Donald Trump

Unlike some of these costumes on this list, this one is taken from real-life. President Trump is both commander-in-chief and one man who seems to dominate the Twitter and news shows. Due to his presence on many platforms, some may want to emulate him. This can range from physical renderings, including a spray tan and blonde wig, or by replication through a mask. 

6. Hippies

Embracing one’s inner flower child has become most everyone’s last minute costume idea. Bell bottom jeans, loose tops and flower crowns seem to be in easy reach for most costume party goers. It seems like the hippies are here to stay. 

7. Giraffes

Remember when everyone was crazy about cats? Well, that trend is gone and has been placed by the giraffe. The giraffe can also be considered one of those go-to outfits and Pinterest has seen more searches and saves on giraffe inspired makeup. Of course, dog and cats will be present too, so it may be raining cats and dogs and giraffes on Court Street. 

8. Baywatch Lifeguards

The movie adaptation may have flopped at the box office, but there surely should be some who loved the movie, or who are just wishing for summer to be here again. The bright red swimsuits will be hard to miss Saturday night. The costume will definitely be those who are brave considering the fall season is upon us and a swimsuit is certainly not worn for warmth. We might see some slow motion runs back to the dorm rooms. 

9. Any of the Kardashian/Jenner clan

As usual, the KarJenners have been up to something and people want to poke fun. Rumor has it that the youngest, Kylie, is pregnant so expect some fun to be poked at both her infamous lips and her new baby belly. Some selfie-taking Kims could be in the crowd or some variations of the family throughout the years. Though, it may be hard to keep up with any of them within the crowd. 

10. Character from Game of Thrones

Topping off the list is the worldwide HBO phenomenon. GOT has been on television since 2011 and has inspired many on their costume selections. This year will be no different. After the seventh season, the show won’t be on HBO for a while and many will cope with that loss by dressing as the King in the North, currently Jon Snow or, in the past, Robb Stark, or Mother of Dragons Daenerys Targaryen. In a universe with more than a hundred characters being featured, expect every house to be represented at the block party.    

@caitycat_11

ch968116@ohio.edu