'Survivor' is back! (photo via @officialsurvivor_cbs Instagram)

TV Recap: A Tribe Swap creates new opportunities among the players on 'Survivor'

As most Survivor fans know, every time there is a formation of new tribes, chaos is sure to follow. This was no different on this week’s episode, as the tribes swap to form three new tribes, Soko, Yawa and Levu. Some alliances were separated, while others were broken apart. Here’s a deep dive into a few of episode 4’s craziest moments. 

New Tribe lines set up a compelling reward challenge 

All three new tribes had to immediately learn how to work together in the roped obstacle course reward challenge. The Levu tribe struggled early on and this continued with Alan's reluctance to switch out roles when throwing the rope. Eventually, only one winner was awarded, and the Yawa tribe prevailed and earned themselves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  

A betrayal of trust leads to a damaged relationship 

At the Yawa beach, Jessica discovered a secret advantage in her sandwich bag, where she read soon after could block one player’s vote. She was, of course, extremely excited about this and decided to tell her alliance members, Mike and Cole, about the advantage. However, without even thinking about the consequences, Cole, almost immediately, told the rest of the tribe members about her advantage. That eventually got back to Jessica later in the episode, which hurt her emotionally and lead her to question her relationship with Cole. 

New Alliances form at the Levu and Soko Tribes

On the Soko beach, Ryan revealed to Chrissy that he was the one who gave her the super idol at the first tribal council. This solidified a bond between the two and made Chrissy feel very loved. Things were a bit more on edge at the Levu beach, as lines were clearly drawn between Joe and Desi and Alan and Ashley. Devon became the swing vote, and influenced Joe to lie about Alan and Ashley wanting to vote him out in order to gain his trust. 

The immunity challenge's loss creates chaos for one tribe

In the immunity challenge, the Levu tribe fell behind very early, and never gained traction as both the other tribes dominated the puzzle portion. Soon after arriving back, Devon learned that Joe lied about Ashley wanting to vote him out, which swung him over to Ashley and Alan’s side. Joe eventually sniffed their plan out, and knowing he had the idol and would be a target, decided to create chaos. Joe confronted the entire tribe about who to vote out, yelling at Alan and accusing Ashley of being the weakest link. The ordeal set up a very interesting tribal council. 

The first idol is played, and an advantage is revealed in a Tribal Council for the ages

At tribal council, Joe basically describes the events at the beach, which made Desi feel that she was being thrown under the bus. Alan made a very interesting point about the healer’s need to be taken out, since they still have 6 people. Just before voting, Devon reveals he was given an advantage, when in fact, the advantage has blocked his vote, which set up a possible rock scenario. With a 50-50 chance, Joe decided to play the idol on himself. He guessed right, as Joe’s votes were nullified and Alan was sent home in heart-wrenching fashion. 

@JaredFr12924879

jf946516@ohio.edu