Unlikely players showed their true colors on Wednesday's episode of 'Survivor.' (Photo via @officialsurvivor_cbs Instagram)

TV Review: An unlikely power player emerged on ‘Survivor’

The 35th season of Survivor is in full-swing, and the second episode did not disappoint. Coming off a premiere ending in fireworks, Wednesday’s episode followed a subdued pace as each player eased their way into the game. The first episode was all about the formation of alliances, and the second episode solidified some of those bonds and tore apart others. However, the underlying emergence of a true deep threat became very clear. Here were the biggest moments from Wednesday’s episode of the CBS game show. 

Alliances dissolve and new relationships form 

After a brutal Tribal Council, former outsider Chrissy made waves within the Hero tribe while the core four — Alan, JP, Ben and Ashley — broke apart. Chrissy used that to solidify her place by making a new alliance with Ben. Meanwhile, at the Healer tribe, Cole and Jessica flirted and Cole considered making the alliance serious. 

An Idol was discovered

Joe decided to take some time to find the idol, and found an inscribed map on a tree and believed was under the tribe’s raft. After sharing this info with Cole to build trust, the wilderness therapy guide discovered it was actually near the well. After digging around the well, Joe found the idol before Cole. Joe was left with the decision to continue to build trust with Cole or make him a target. Voting out Cole would keep the secret of his Idol in his hands, but also potentially expose his game. 

Wild behavior with one player leads to a questioning of trust 

On the Hustler tribe, fans were already aware of the alliances between Patrick and Ali and Ryan and Devon. However, Patrick became a way too over the top, which caused concern for Ali, and really got under Pat’s skin. It provided Ali with an opportunity to show of her excellent social skills, as she formed bonds with Pat and outsider Simone. 

The immunity challenge ended in a comeback

It would be an understatement to say that the Hustler’s dominated the beginning of the immunity challenge. Devon carried the tribe on his back in a performance worthy of referencing the swimming prowess of Ozzy Lusth. However, in an amazing comeback, the Healers made quick work of the puzzle, while the Hustlers collapsed and were sent to tribal council. 

In a considerably simple vote-off, the road ahead becomes very interesting

It was clear from the start of the episode that Simone was on the outs of the tribe. Patrick’s wild behavior placed that plan in jeopardy, which did not help when he said he could trust “most” people at tribal council. Ultimately, the tribe stayed strong and voted out Simone in a 5-1 vote. 

There is more than meets the eye on the Hustler tribe, especially with Ali. Although Ryan is playing his cards very well, Ali is controlling the social aspects around her, giving no one even a thought of voting her out. It will be interesting to see how she does down the road as this constantly-evolving game continues on.

Survivor airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on CBS. 

@JaredFr12924879

jf946516@ohio.edu