See which alliances fell apart on 'Survivor' this week. (Photo via @survivorcbs Instagram)

TV Review: 'Survivor' continues to show viewers its captivating characters

Survivor is in full swing after episode five’s events, and it is only going to continue to get better as the season goes on. At this point, audiences are surely starting to find their favorite players among this stellar cast, which only adds to the suspense on the show. Solidifying alliances is becoming crucial as the merge is swiftly approaching. With new bonds continuing to form, and old one’s being questioned, nearly every player is at risk of becoming the next voted out. 

A confusing reaction turns into a heartfelt moment on the Yawa Tribe

Ben has become a true power player and some viewers can definitely root for this season. We were able to see a new side of him as he touched on his life as a Marine. What sparked that was the simple sound of bamboo cracking, which Ben likened to an explosion. Clearly distraught and with his tribe concerned he ran to the water to cool off. During his confessional, he talked about how he wants to be an example to other veterans that they can overcome the stress and trauma experienced from combat. 

Another player finds themselves in the middle of two alliances

Fans were already aware of Ryan’s alliance with Ali, but what we discovered last week was his new alliance with Chrissy. Ryan stated he is extremely pleased with where his social game is at and feels like everyone is coming to him to talk strategy. However, Ali brought in the lone healer Roark, and they decided to vote out Chrissy, which put Ryan in a predicament. 

Cole continues to dig his own grave, while a second idol is found

Cole has already begun to rub people the wrong way on his tribe. Last week he caused mistrust among his alliance members, and now his gluttonous eating habits have annoyed others, specifically Ben and Lauren. Drawing from this uncertainty, Jessica and Mike decided to look for the idol. After digging around a familiar idol spot from their old tribe, Mike was able to unearth the hidden immunity idol. Dr. Mike was elated, and talked about his rise in the game and how proud his family must be. 

New challenges continue to excite viewers

The Levu tribe fell behind at the start but stormed back on the balance beam. They would take the lead, however,  it soon became very even as all three tribes were working on the final portion. Cole sealed the deal very quickly for the Yawa tribe. Chrissy continued to struggle balancing while moving her ball and refused to switch out. Levu was able to take advantage and send Soko to tribal council. 

Facing two paths, tribal council fell upon one player’s shoulders

Chrissy knew she was in trouble, so she decided to talk to Roark to see where her head was at. After sensing Roark’s poker face, she soon turned to Roark as a target. She lied to JP about Roark starting an all-women alliance, which secured his vote. At the same time, Roark and Ali decided Chrissy had to go, which placed Ryan in the middle of choosing between allies — Ali and Chrissy. Tribal Council started off very feisty, as Chrissy had to defend herself for her struggles at the challenge. Roark and Chrissy got into it over their conversation earlier on the beach. With a choice still to make, Ryan chose his bond with Chrissy and Roark was blindsided in a 3-2 vote. 

Survivor airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on CBS. 

@JaredFr12924879

jf946516@ohio.edu