Carly Remmers cheers with the team during Ohio's game against Miami on Sept. 29, 2017. (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Volleyball: News and notes following a weekend split

Ohio went 1-1 for the third straight weekend in Mid-American Conference play, losing to Kent State in five sets Thursday and defeating Eastern Michigan in five sets Saturday.

Coach Deane Webb was quick to point out the unforced errors his team had throughout the weekend, but also understood that those are common growing pains of a youthful roster.

“They’re learning, they’re improving,” Webb said.

Almost full strength

After returning for some of the rotation the previous weekend, Carley Remmers continued to work her way back into the lineup over the weekend. Remmers had missed 10 games due to injury.

In the two games over the weekend, Remmers impressed. In Thursday night’s loss to Kent State, she had seven kills and hit .467. She had 12 digs Saturday night, too.

It’s not just the Ohio coaching staff that has noticed her high level of play while coming back from injury.

The team is excited to have her back. She can be a difference-maker for a young and inexperienced team.

“It’s awesome to have Carley back,” sophomore libero Meredith Howe said. “Just another voice, more energy.”

Jimerson continues to dominate

Tia Jimerson had a huge weekend.

In Thursday’s loss, the freshman from Sugar Hill, Georgia, had 21 kills and a career-high 17 digs.

She followed it up with another impressive performance Saturday. Although Jimerson hit just .229 — which is low for her — she had 19 kills and 12 digs.

“Tia was good on Saturday, but she was great on Thursday,” Webb said.

If not for injuries to others through the summer and season, Jimerson would have redshirted. Now she is an intrical part of the young Bobcats’ roster. She’s in contention for MAC Freshman of the Year and she is only improving. Jimerson is in the top 10 in the MAC in hitting percentage (sixth) and kills (fourth) and is making a case for all-conference honors.

More long matches

With the two, five-set matches over the weekend, the Bobcats have been in six, five-set matches through 20 total.

They are 4-2 in those six matches.

The Bobcats appear to elevate their level of play in the deciding fifth set of matches, a good sign for a young team.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu