Shelby Campbell

Words I Might Have Ate: 'De Stijl' is still the best album by The White Stripes

Hard-hitting blues is hard to find these days, but The White Stripes seem to have mastered it. 

Guitarist and lead singer Jack White channels his inner sadness in every song, no matter how happy it seems. 

One album of theirs in particular dominates the blues, however. De Stijl, their second album, embodies the spirit of Detroit blues. Obvious Led Zeppelin influences and southern-style blues guitar mixed with heavy drums from Meg White creates raw power that’s hard to find in other, newer blues. 

Jack White’s perfectionism makes for music that is imperfect, and De Stijl reflects this. Nothing about the album is refined in the slightest, but it is exactly Jack White’s vision. He knows exactly what he wants when he makes music, and he strives for an unrefined, simple sound. Although they may not have worked out in marriage, Meg and Jack White’s musical partnership created a brainchild like no other. Meg White’s simplistic drumming, mixed with Jack’s raw, unhinged vocals is perfect for their talents. 

De Stijl’s raw power exhibits just how talented both members of The White Stripes are. As they progressed, the rawness faded and they became more refined. 

The White Stripes continued to make fantastic music until the end, but De Stijl captured a moment in time where music was raw. 

In 2000, when The Black Keys and later The Strokes were still young and unrefined, The White Stripes were leaders in the blues revival. No one could quite recreate what they were doing, and De Stijl did it the best. 

Sister, Do You Know My Name?” is one of the best tracks on the album, with its heavy, slow blues guitar melting over Meg’s simplistic yet natural drumming. The White Stripes had a way of making simple music that no one else was making. Jack White is just a masterful enough guitarist that his Jimmy Page-esque guitar work doesn’t sound out of place. It never sounds as though he is trying too hard to be Led Zeppelin. 

Jack White didn’t invent being Jimmy Page, he just made it simpler. He proved that a guitarist doesn’t need a John Bonham to be Jimmy Page. 

De Stijl takes blues and forces it to be rock and roll, and that’s the magic of the album. Jack White takes his talent and Meg’s simple genius and turns it into The White Stripes’ underheard masterpiece.

Shelby Campbell is a freshman studying journalism and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you think of The White Stripes? Let Shelby know by tweeting her @bloodbuzzohioan.