Shelby Campbell

Words I Might Have Ate: New Arctic Monkeys won't disappoint

Arctic Monkeys are releasing new music, and according to bassist Nick O’Malley, if it isn’t out by 2018, “we’ve got problems.” 

O’Malley gave little detail about the new album, stating only that recording began in September in a “secret location.” 

It’s been four years since they released AM, their fifth album. Their last album was produced by Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, and the change was evident. AM may not have been their best album, but its change was in the right direction for commercial success. 

Arctic Monkeys toured AM for the better part of two years. In the time that has passed since the end of the tour, three of the four members have had children. 

Both Alex Turner, the lead guitarist and singer, and Matt Helders, the drummer, created solo music while away from the band. While Turner returned to his brainchild The Last Shadow Puppets with friend Miles Kane, Helders teamed up with Iggy Pop and Josh Homme for Pop’s album Post Pop Depression

All four of the members have had a fruitful break, but returning to the studio is vital for the Monkeys. 

I would assume, along with their last album and their third album, Humbug, that Homme will be returning to the studio along with the band. His production and input is valued by the band, enough to collaborate with him on projects beyond Arctic Monkeys. 

When Homme teams up with Arctic Monkeys, he slows the music down into something not unlike Queens of the Stone Age. This is never necessarily a bad thing, because even with the slowing down of their music, Arctic Monkeys never stray from their roots. 

Arctic Monkeys are a rock band to their core, and they never have abandoned that. Alex Turner plays with his voice so that it fits the music, but it never has changed. They are the epitome of growth in a band. 

I wish I knew what was coming from Arctic Monkeys, but I know it’ll be different from anything they’ve done before. Every album has been different from the last in its own unique way, so the new one is pretty unpredictable. 

It might just be that I am a massive Arctic Monkeys fan, but I am confident that their new album will be fantastic. Arctic Monkeys have never once disappointed me, and I doubt they will this time.

Shelby Campbell is a freshman studying journalism and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you a fan of the Arctic Monkeys? Let Shelby know by tweeting her @bloodbuzzohioan.